Posted to dev@storm.apache.org by clay teahouse <cl...@gmail.com> on 2015/03/03 23:39:34 UTC

cleaning up storm generated files

Hi all,

How do I remove storm generated system files programmatically  without
stepping over the files that I shouldn't be deleting? I need this to
cleanup the files left behind from the aborted topologies. I tried fuser
and lsof, but with no luck. For example, fuser shows stormconf.ser and
stormcode.ser  not in use even in cases where these files are being used.

thanks
Clay

Re: cleaning up storm generated files

Posted by Bobby Evans <ev...@yahoo-inc.com.INVALID>.
In local mode the cleanup method is supposed to be called on shutdown.  The cleanup method is supposed to be called in regular mode on newer versions of storm, so long as it does not take too long to complete. The files that the supervisor downloads from nimbus stormconf.ser etc. how it gets them is different enough in local mode that I don't know for sure how/if they are cleaned up there.
 - Bobby

     On Friday, March 6, 2015 7:54 AM, clay teahouse <cl...@gmail.com> wrote:

 Hi Bobby,Is this the case in local mode as well? If yes, it doesn't seem to be working. If no, how do I go about removing these files?  I read a couple of places that the cleanup method is for that, but it doesn't seem that this method is called  when a topology is aborted.thanksClay
On Wed, Mar 4, 2015 at 12:42 PM, Bobby Evans <ev...@yahoo-inc.com.invalid> wrote:

Even if the supervisor is killed, when it comes back up it should do the cleanup.  The way it knows is that it will download from zookeeper the list of workers that it is supposed to be running, and then compare that with what it knows about.  If a worker is detected that it does not know about it will kill the worker, and clean up the files.  This happens when you see a log message like "Shutting down and clearing state for id..." in the supervisor.  It is possible that we got an error and the local state of the supervisor got off.

The only way to know what is not needed is to look at zookeeper and do what the supervisor does to determine what should be running. - Bobby

     On Wednesday, March 4, 2015 11:46 AM, clay teahouse <cl...@gmail.com> wrote:

 Is this also the case if you kill a topology or the machine goes down? Or
do I need to write a jvm hook to handle this?
But in any case, is there a way to know which files are in use by storm (as
I said fuser and lsof are not of no help here).

thanks.

Posted by clay teahouse <cl...@gmail.com>.
Hi Bobby,

Posted by Bobby Evans <ev...@yahoo-inc.com.INVALID>.