Posted to users@spamassassin.apache.org by COGZ <ja...@cogz.com> on 2010/09/05 19:03:07 UTC

Limit message size scans

I know there are a number of ways to limit the size of a messages that are
scanned with spamassasin, but I am having problems with configurations.
Spamc seems to have this capability already build in by default. Is there a
config file that I can change to call spamc when the call is made from the
.mailfilter that is in the users mail folder and contains code to call
spamassassin.  (xfilter "/usr/bin/spamassassin -p)

Re: Limit message size scans

Posted by COGZ <ja...@cogz.com>.
Not that I know of. The solution needs unmodifiable by the users.

Re: Limit message size scans

Posted by John Hardin <jh...@impsec.org>.
On Sun, 5 Sep 2010, COGZ wrote:

> The problem with editing the users .mailfilter file is that they could
> overwrite it with their control panel. Seems like a shell script wrapper
> would be best. Any suggestions on how to configure?

Is there any way you can hook control panel to throw a warning if they use
spamassassin and recommend spamc instead?

User education is the _best_ option...

> John Hardin wrote:
>>
>> On Sun, 5 Sep 2010, COGZ wrote:
>>
>>> I know there are a number of ways to limit the size of a messages that
>>> are scanned with spamassasin, but I am having problems with
>>> configurations. Spamc seems to have this capability already build in by
>>> default. Is there a config file that I can change to call spamc when the
>>> call is made from the .mailfilter that is in the users mail folder and
>>> contains code to call spamassassin.  (xfilter "/usr/bin/spamassassin -p)
>>
>> If the user is explicitly calling spamassassin that way there's little you
>> can do on the SA side to override it. Can you educate your users to call
>> spamc instead of spamassassin?
>>
>> If you have administrative access you could change the users' .mailfilter
>> files...
>>
>> Perhaps replace /usr/bin/spamassassin with a shell script wrapper that
>> calls spamc? That would be fairly fragile and would impact people outside
>> the scope of .mailfilter files.

   Where We Want You To Go Today 07/05/07: Microsoft patents in-OS
   adware architecture incorporating spyware, profiling, competitor
   suppression and delivery confirmation (U.S. Patent #20070157227)
  12 days until the 223rd anniversary of the signing of the U.S. Constitution

Re: Limit message size scans

Posted by COGZ <ja...@cogz.com>.

Re: Limit message size scans

Posted by John Hardin <jh...@impsec.org>.