Posted to common-user@hadoop.apache.org by bhupendar <bh...@hcl.in> on 2008/07/14 07:37:36 UTC

Hadoop and lucene integration

Hi all

I have created a search engine using lucene to search on the file system and
it is working fine right now .
I heard somewhere that using hadoop we can increase the performance of the
search engine . I just want to know
1) how can be hadoop plug in my search engine and what are the things it
will improve if it can be plugged in
2) Any tutorial on hadoop + lucene which can be help me out in plugging
hadoop in my search engine
3) One more than i want to know is how can we distribute the lucene index
using hadoop

Thanks and Regards
bhupendra

Re: Hadoop and lucene integration

Posted by bhupendar <bh...@hcl.in>.
Thanks for the reply

Nice to get more information about hadoop and i have also started looking at
nutch
The only thing i am not able to get yet is weather we can integrate hadoop
with lucene or not and any tutorial on it that will help me do this ?

Thanks a lot again for your response and help

Posted by Naama Kraus <na...@gmail.com>.
I think you may find a lot of information about Hadoop in general in
Hadoop's Wiki http://hadoop.apache.org/core/

Re. Hadoop and search, you might also want to take a look at Nutch
http://lucene.apache.org/nutch/

In general, Hadoop allows one to store huge amount of data on a cluster of
commodity nodes and process it in an efficient way (parallel, computation
near data) using the map reduce framework. Hadoop is an infrastructure, each
application should use it in a way fitting its needs.

Hope this helps,
Naama

On Mon, Jul 14, 2008 at 2:58 PM, bhupendar <bh...@hcl.in> wrote:

> Thanks for the response .
>
> The problem i am facing here is i dont have any clue about the hadoop . So
> first i am trying to analyse weather i can integrate hadoop with the
> existing application developed using Lucene or not ? i need some clue or
> tutorial which talk about hadoop integration with lucene . I have started
> exploring the two links that you have given
> Thanks a lot.
> Looking forward to some more useful information about hadoop
>
> Regards,
> Bhupendra

oo 00 oo 00 oo 00 oo 00 oo 00 oo 00 oo 00 oo 00 oo 00 oo 00 oo 00 oo 00 oo
00 oo 00 oo
"If you want your children to be intelligent, read them fairy tales. If you
want them to be more intelligent, read them more fairy tales." (Albert
Einstein)

Re: Hadoop and lucene integration

Posted by Naama Kraus <na...@gmail.com>.
Hi bhupendra,