Posted to dev@dubbo.apache.org by YunKun Huang <hy...@apache.org> on 2019/03/08 10:02:55 UTC

About adding [edit this page on github] link in docs website

hey all,

Many website for open source project has a button or link named [edit this page on github] in each page, so when someone find any issue at docs, they can easily send a PR.

Ideally this link [edit this page on github] should be different on different page.
For example,
docs: http://dubbo.incubator.apache.org/en-us/docs/user/preface/background.html
the edit link should be:
https://github.com/apache/incubator-dubbo-website/edit/asf-site/docs/en-us/user/preface/background.md

we have a PR to add this link[1] to Dubbo website. but looks like there is some limitation on docsite (dubbo website generator), it can't support this, so the [edit this page on github] link can only be our repo link[2]. People who find issue at doc must fork repo, modify it then send a PR.

It's not a good user experience and I'm afraid it may stop some people who are not be familiar with github to send PR.

Does anyone have any idea? not sure if we can achieve this by adding javascript or other way?

[1]: https://github.com/apache/incubator-dubbo-website/pull/317
[2]: https://github.com/apache/incubator-dubbo-website

Re: About adding [edit this page on github] link in docs website

Posted by Huxing Zhang <hu...@apache.org>.
Hi,

On Fri, Mar 8, 2019 at 6:02 PM YunKun Huang <hy...@apache.org> wrote:

> hey all,
>
> Many website for open source project has a button or link named [edit this page on github] in each page, so when someone find any issue at docs, they can easily send a PR.
>
> Ideally this link [edit this page on github] should be different on different page.
> For example,
> docs: http://dubbo.incubator.apache.org/en-us/docs/user/preface/background.html
> the edit link should be:
> https://github.com/apache/incubator-dubbo-website/edit/asf-site/docs/en-us/user/preface/background.md
>
> we have a PR to add this link[1] to Dubbo website. but looks like there is some limitation on docsite (dubbo website generator), it can't support this, so the [edit this page on github] link can only be our repo link[2]. People who find issue at doc must fork repo, modify it then send a PR.
>
> It's not a good user experience and I'm afraid it may stop some people who are not be familiar with github to send PR.

+1 to provide a link specific to the page.

> Does anyone have any idea? not sure if we can achieve this by adding javascript or other way?

I am not quite familiar with front end. But I think when compiling
markdown to html file, some logic can be added, so that the link could
be inserted to the html.

--
Best Regards!
Huxing