Posted to users@maven.apache.org by Kathryn Huxtable <kh...@ku.edu> on 2006/05/26 00:01:27 UTC

Maven-proxy (was Re: Rant (very long))

Of course, one answer leads to another question... ;-)

Why bother proxying inhouse repositories? I don't see the logic there.

-K

Re: Maven-proxy (was Re: Rant (very long))

Posted by Daniel Kulp <da...@iona.com>.

Well,  we actually use maven-proxy to host the inhouse repository.
Basically, we have it configured with repo.local.store pointing to the
actual repository dir and repo.list empty.   Thus, it just serves up
what's in the dir.

The main reason we did that was for the search capabilities.   A developer
can point at the repository URL and execute a search.   Works quite well
when it gets large.    Keeps people from having to log into the machine
and running a "find".   It also means the "UI" is exactly the same for
the proxied content as the non-proxied content.

That said, we DO use maven-proxies at our other remote sites to proxy the
inhouse repository.   That's just a performance enhancement though.   The
VPN between the sites isn't always very good.

Enjoy!
Dan

J. Daniel Kulp
Principal Engineer
IONA
P: 781-902-8727  C: 508-380-7194
daniel.kulp@iona.com

Re: Maven-proxy (was Re: Rant (very long))

Posted by Tamás Cservenák <t....@gmail.com>.
Inhouse repo, if you look at Proximity is very important to achieve stable
and controlled build environment.

If you have some company level (reaches through more separate projects)
some-utility.jar, how will you spread it amongst developers? How will you
achieve if some-utility.jar is updated, to update all developer environment
too?

Will everybody issue "maven install:install-file"? They could :)

Publish it on the inhouse repo and done. Every developer will acess your
artifact as they access for example log4j.

See here
https://is-micro.myip.hu/projects/ismicro-commons/proximity/

~t~

Posted by Trygve Laugstøl <tr...@apache.org>.
Kevin Galligan wrote:
> Just had a crazy thought about the "external organization making secret
> changes" issue.  If the issue is with snapshot builds I guess I don't have
> much for you there (other than the above, of course).  However if the
> concern is simply that you don't know that what's in the repository hasn't
> changed, I had a wacky idea.
>
> Maybe we write a plugin that does the following.  When you set up a new
> project or change an existing project's dependencies, you need to run that
> plugin.  Something like:
>
> mvn depend-check:build
>
> It'll go through non-snapshot dependencies and build a datafile that
> keeps a
> hash of each of the artifacts.  Keep that in the root directory next to the
> 'pom.xml' file, and more importantly, keep it in source control.
>
> Attach the plugin to the build, although the goal would be like
> 'depend-check:check'.  This plugin would consult with the datafile built
> earlier and check that each local artifact matched what was used originally
> for the build.  If something doesn't match, you'll get an error and an
> aborted build.

This has been asked before and would be a very useful plugin for some.

It should also be fairly easy to implement and I'm sure it would be
accepted into the Mojo sandbox.

--
Trygve

Re: Maven-proxy (was Re: Rant (very long))

Posted by Kevin Galligan <kg...@gmail.com>.
[...]

I mean, personally, I'm not awake at night worried that struts 1.2.9 is
different than it was 3 months ago, but I understand from where your concern
comes.

Of course, I'm exhausted, so maybe my idea is impratical or whatever, but I
think it would serve as a decent sanity check.  if just knowing that
something is not right isn't enough, maybe as part of the release or deploy
plugins you can optionally stuff a copy of all artifacts somewhere.

As to maven being bleeding edge and being quirky, I'd agree.  However, at
this point I wouldn't start a new project without it.  And, believe me, I'm
the first guy to scream "Emporer's New Clothes" when people get overly
excited about some hyped new thing.

I'm sure I've convinced you ;)

Posted by Kathryn Huxtable <kh...@ku.edu>.
Uh, I guess so. ;-) I did mean "he".

Posted by Lee Meador <le...@leemeador.com>.
> [...]

> > Yes you use the maven-proxy to serve the internal repository.
> >
> > What do you mean my sshext?
> >
> > Ben
> >
> > On 5/25/06, Kathryn Huxtable <kh...@ku.edu> wrote:
> >> Yes, it helps, as does Daniel Kulp's message. You don't need to proxy
> your
> >> inhouse repo, but you can just to simplify things.
> >>
> >> My issue is that I'm at a university, where I don't have a developer
> >> intranet for my team, so my inhouse repo is accessed via sshext for
> access
> >> control reasons.
> >>
> >> If my VPN were smarter I could use Apache's access control mechanisms
> >> restrict access to the team, but it's pretty limited.
> >>
> >> If access control were easier to delegate I maybe could use Shibboleth
> or
> >> something. (I manage Shibboleth for our campus.)

-- Lee Meador
Sent from gmail. My real email address is lee@leemeador.com

Re: Maven-proxy (was Re: Rant (very long))

Posted by Kathryn Huxtable <kh...@ku.edu>.

Posted by ben short <be...@benshort.co.uk>.

Posted by Tamás Cservenák <t....@gmail.com>.
I think it help.

The good thing about two existing known maven-proxies (codehaus maven-proxy
and Proximity) is that they're actually 2in1 solutions. They are NOT
strictly a proxy as a HTTP proxy. The are just ABLE to behave like http
proxy (or the logic that drives them is similar to HTTP proxy).

They are also fully functional when it comes to repository hosting too. And
you have extras: fast searching, access management, etc.

My practice with Proximity is following:

define proxied repo for central, codehaus, etc...
define LOCAL (so not proxied reposes) like inhouse, etc.

Proxy storages are handled ONLY BY Proximity.
And PUBLISH local proxy storages using standard ways (ftp, sftp, sambe,
nfs...) and make your developers DEPLOY onto them using Maven2 itself! In
case of a commercial project, it should be right in the superpom where is
the deployment area, etc...

In our house, we use JDS2* with well defined paths and URLs. On POM creation
a developer knowing the project ID of project (this ID is used in paths,
URLs, mailing list names, etc something like SourceForge project id) can
write complete POM almost out of his head.

And it's easier to maintain (one application in company does proxying and
hosting) - one backup - one thing less to worry.

Some WIKI scratch that tries to define JDS2 and what it should be.
https://is-micro.myip.hu/trac/ismicro-jds2

~t~

Posted by Kathryn Huxtable <kh...@ku.edu>.

Posted by ben short <be...@benshort.co.uk>.