Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by DIGLLOYD INC <di...@diglloyd.com> on 2008/08/04 00:31:56 UTC

Re: Session lost when switching from https to http after upgrade to Tomcat 6

I've been having the same issues others have been asking about.  This
discussion has been useful, but...

===> What is a viable workaround for switching to http from https once
the user is authenticated?  And is that idea unreasonable (see use
case below).

My main concern is that sending large amounts of static content over
https (large JPEGs in particular) will cause an undue load on the
server, as opposed to 'http'.

Here is my use case:

1.  The user's password should be protected over https when logging
in.  Ditto for the user's home page.

2.  Once logged in, a large amount of static content (html, large
JPEGs, etc) is available to that user.  None of it is of a sensitive
nature.

3. While it's true that the sessionid could be hijacked, an attacker
would need the user's actual password to do anything malicious; there
isn't any sensitive user data, just access to content.  So having
sessionid travel over plain http would be fine.

Lloyd Chambers
http://diglloyd.com

[Mac OS X 10.5.2 Intel, Tomcat 6.0.16]

Posted by Christopher Schultz <ch...@christopherschultz.net>.