Posted to general@incubator.apache.org by Roman Shaposhnik <ro...@shaposhnik.org> on 2014/09/03 02:49:02 UTC

Re: Tooling friendly incubator report

On Sat, Aug 30, 2014 at 8:54 AM, Alan D. Cabrera <li...@toolazydogs.com> wrote:

>>> This is pretty much how it works now.  As I mentioned above, I am merely proposing
>>> that we use a more structured YAML file instead of a wiki page.
>>
>> On that note: I *really* would like to start using YAMLized version
>> for our Sep report.
>
> I think that we'll stick w/ the wiki for September's report.  We need to work out things like where to put the YAML file.

Can I make a suggestion, please?

Would it be too much to ask to have YAML report *in addition*
with the regular wiki?

We should be absolutely clear that it is auxiliary, but I think
it will be a useful way for poddlings to familiarize themselves
with the structure of the YAML file and ease the transition
later on.

> Where should we put the YAML file.  It needs to be in a place where all committers have R/W access.  I was thinking:
>
> https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/incubator/public/trunk/content/data/reports

This looks like as good place as any. Besides, changing that location
is one svn mv away ;-)

Thanks,
Roman.

Re: Tooling friendly incubator report

Posted by "Alan D. Cabrera" <li...@toolazydogs.com>.
I already am aware of Whimsy.  :)

My main goal is to put into place building blocks, for automated tooling, around bits such as reporting, mailing list management, etc.  These can be used my Whimsy as well as other tooling bits and my site.

As for my site, I like Python and wish to goof around with panopticon.  I, frankly, don’t see that harm in that since I am taking great pains to make sure that Whimsy is not excluded from the building blocks that I wish to put into place.  Nor am I requiring that Whimsy uses panopticon to take advantage of the work.

Regards,
Alan

Posted by Upayavira <uv...@odoko.co.uk>.
Alan,

Posted by "Alan D. Cabrera" <li...@toolazydogs.com>.

Posted by Ted Dunning <te...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Marvin Humphrey <ma...@rectangular.com>.
On Wed, Sep 3, 2014 at 10:59 AM, Chris Douglas <cd...@apache.org> wrote:

> If the report format has a learning curve, then it is too complex.

+1

This is one of my two concerns about refactoring the report; the other is that
report coordination must remain a team effort.  I'm generally in favor of the
changes so long as those concerns are addressed.

There's going to be a web form, right?  Because I would not expect N podlings
to manage editing raw YAML without creating a big mess each month for the
Report Manager to clean up.

So how about creating the web form but having it generate text which can be
inserted into the wiki template?  That would allow us to tune the web
interface without committing to the new format.

Marvin Humphrey

Re: Tooling friendly incubator report

Posted by Chris Douglas <cd...@apache.org>.
On Tue, Sep 2, 2014 at 5:49 PM, Roman Shaposhnik <ro...@shaposhnik.org> wrote:
> Would it be too much to ask to have YAML report *in addition*
> with the regular wiki?

Let's stick with one report. When the new format is ready, we can ask
podlings to learn it.

> We should be absolutely clear that it is auxiliary, but I think
> it will be a useful way for poddlings to familiarize themselves
> with the structure of the YAML file and ease the transition
> later on.

If the report format has a learning curve, then it is too complex. -C

Re: Tooling friendly incubator report

Posted by "Alan D. Cabrera" <li...@toolazydogs.com>.
On Sep 2, 2014, at 5:49 PM, Roman Shaposhnik <ro...@shaposhnik.org> wrote:

> On Sat, Aug 30, 2014 at 8:54 AM, Alan D. Cabrera <li...@toolazydogs.com> wrote:

>>> On that note: I *really* would like to start using YAMLized version
>>> for our Sep report.
>>
>> I think that we'll stick w/ the wiki for September's report.  We need to work out things like where to put the YAML file.
>
> Can I make a suggestion, please?
>
> Would it be too much to ask to have YAML report *in addition*
> with the regular wiki?

Keeping the YAML file in sync with the free form wiki would be very difficult.

IMO, having both would be confusing.

> We should be absolutely clear that it is auxiliary, but I think
> it will be a useful way for poddlings to familiarize themselves
> with the structure of the YAML file and ease the transition
> later on.

Working with a YAML file will not be too difficult for podlings; this is a technical community.

>> Where should we put the YAML file.  It needs to be in a place where all committers have R/W access.  I was thinking:
>>
>> https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/incubator/public/trunk/content/data/reports
>
> This looks like as good place as any. Besides, changing that location
> is one svn mv away ;-)

Do podling committers have R/W access?

Regards,
Alan