Posted to dev@httpd.apache.org by Jim Jagielski <ji...@jaguNET.com> on 1998/01/30 05:22:52 UTC

Apache at ABCNEWS.com

Pretty good story... They do mention that somehow NT is the "leading
platform" for Internet servers, which is wrong, and of course Zona
Research has to diss Apache (although it's nice how they do alude
to the fact that nobody knows what's behind firewall). I'm not
sure I like the "hostile" line though :/ (it's not from me!)

Check it out:

   http://www.abcnews.com/sections/business/apache_0129/index.html

Re: Apache at ABCNEWS.com

Posted by Brian Behlendorf <br...@organic.com>.
Cool picture, Jim :)  And cool article, comments about "hostile" and the
Zona droid aside.  the press has an obsessive need to appear "objective",
so any argument on the "con" side is to be expected.

	Brian

specialization is for insects				  brian@organic.com

Re: Apache at ABCNEWS.com

Posted by Dean Gaudet <dg...@arctic.org>.

On Thu, 29 Jan 1998, Jim Jagielski wrote:

>    http://www.abcnews.com/sections/business/apache_0129/index.html

Figures, I tried to send this complaint, and their server is broken.  Why
oh why can't people just provide a damn email address.  Forms are so
goddamn stupid.

Dean

Article titled "With so much hostility on the
              software frontier, the Apache Group provides a
              safe haven from the warfare being waged for Web
              dominance. "

It is stated: The group is hostile to
              the notion that users should be able to call them for answers to
              technical questions.

Yes, this is true.  As we have no offices of business for
Apache, we would have to allow folks to call us at home.
Are you interested in giving your home phone number
out to 800,000 web sites to call you at any hour of the
day?  Probably not.

However if you visit http://bugs.apache.org/ you'll find
over 1700 bug reports, most of which have been fixed
or otherwise answered.  This is the net, we use net tools
to get our work done.  Our support comes from our bugs
page, and via the large cadre of *qualified* professionals
who respond to Apache specific questions in newsgroups
such as comp.infosystems.www.servers.unix.  You'll also
find all of this information is searchable through various
search engines -- a lot more than commercial vendors have
offered in the past.

Thanks for an otherwise mostly factual article.

Dean