Posted to derby-user@db.apache.org by Oliver Böhme <Bo...@web.de> on 2009/12/03 10:38:02 UTC

Question concerning stored procedures

Hello,

why can't I create "normal" SQL stored procedures for a Derby DB?
I thought building a string like "create procedure name as select * from ..." and pass it to Statement.execute (or .executeUpdate) would work but it doesn't.
Instead of this I can only declare those cryptic java stored procedures...

Am I missing some point or what is the reason for that?

Regards
Preisknaller: WEB.DE DSL Flatrate für nur 16,99 Euro/mtl.!
http://produkte.web.de/go/02/

Re: Question concerning stored procedures

Posted by Rick Hillegas <Ri...@Sun.COM>.
Hi Oliver,

Here is an old email thread on this topic:
http://old.nabble.com/SQL-functions%2C-procedures-and-PSM---a-possible-approach-to1047689.html#a1047689

I think that the short answer to your question is that no-one has
volunteered to implement the standard SQL procedural language. There is
very little pressure to start this very big project because the
alternative Derby approach (writing a Java static method) seems to
satisfy our users.

Personally, I believe that Java is a better procedural language than SQL
for several reasons: Java is more expressive, more portable, easier to
debug, and backed by a larger ecosystem of re-usable code.

However, you are welcome to build SQL/PSM support into Derby. I believe
that the community would welcome such a contribution.

Hope this helps,
-Rick