Posted to dev@tomcat.apache.org by co...@eng.sun.com on 2000/02/10 22:55:34 UTC

IIS and Netscape connector

Hi,

I am looking at the new native code, and seems realy great.

I have few questions ( probably post-3.1 ):
- can we remove the pre-compiled binaries from CVS, and move them in
jakarata.apache.org/build/.... ( next to mod_jserv and other binaries we
have). Any build for Unix ( there is no Makefile )?

- What is the jk_ prefix :-)? It's easier to remember a name when you can
make an association...

- Can we add a bit of structure, like separating the files by
functionality ( like isapi, nsapi, apach modules, general  functions like
log, tcp, config, etc) ? ( I still remember a bit of C, but from a Java
point of view it's nice to have some packages and interfaces :-)

- There are a log of usefull and nice C methods inside - pools,
connection, logging. I was thinking to use APR from Apache ( which is
another library of usefull methods, very portable - I think it's not hard
to use it with IIS or netscape as a C library ), but simpler is better,
probably apr is too complex.

- Did you tried JNI on Unix ? Or with Apache 2.0 ?

Costin

Re: IIS and Netscape connector

Posted by co...@eng.sun.com.
> > Any build for Unix ( there is no Makefile )?
> >
> All the code (not including a small portion of the jni worker) actually
> compiles on my AIX. The thing is that I just do not have the time to test
> it (or create a reasonable set of makefiles).

Don't worry about that, I'll do the makefiles ( and build it on
Linux/Solaris).

> > - What is the jk_ prefix :-)? It's easier to remember a name when you can
> > make an association...
> >
> The jk stands for JaKarta :) (I also considered tc, but then we are going
> to have this code running with Catalina which is ct), I wanted something
> that can diffrenciate the Jakarta unique code from all other libraries
> that we may use (like for example APR) I can not use name-spaces so I chose
> a prefix (similar to what ap_ is in apache)

:-)

> > - Can we add a bit of structure, like separating the files by
> > functionality ( like isapi, nsapi, apach modules, general  functions like
> > log, tcp, config, etc) ? ( I still remember a bit of C, but from a Java
> > point of view it's nice to have some packages and interfaces :-)
> >
> You are correct about putting the IIS and NSAPI code in different
> directories, the other parts of the code however are common to both of them and
> should be in a "common" jk directory. I see that you also mention apache,
> adding support for apache using the current code is really trivial (one
> very short file), we can have it within less then a week of my spare time.

We have mod_jserv, but long term we need to "merge" mod_jserv into jk.
There is also a bit of extra functionality in mod_jserv
that will be usefull in jk, like the wrapper ( starts tomcat when apache
starts) and load balancing.

> It was not a question of simple/vs complex as it is the issue of general
> availability. APR (I am following it's evolution) and the Apache2.0
> codebase in general has many things that I need (locks/threading/socket
> abstraction ...) and it is all cross platform. I want to use it and when
> it is out I will try to embed it into the plugins.

AFAIK, APR compiles without Apache 2.0 and it will generate a .lib file.
It should be easy to use it outside apache. It was just an ideea, it might
save use some typing.

Posted by Shachor Gal <sh...@techunix.technion.ac.il>.

> I am looking at the new native code, and seems really great.

Thanks.

> I have few questions ( probably post-3.1 ):
> - can we remove the pre-compiled binaries from CVS, and move them in
> jakarata.apache.org/build/.... ( next to mod_jserv and other binaries we
> have).

Yes,  we can do that even pre-3.1

> Any build for Unix ( there is no Makefile )?

All the code (not including a small portion of the jni worker) actually
compiles on my AIX. The thing is that I just do not have the time to test
it (or create a reasonable set of makefiles).

> - What is the jk_ prefix :-)? It's easier to remember a name when you can
> make an association...

The jk stands for JaKarta :) (I also considered tc, but then we are going
to have this code running with Catalina which is ct), I wanted something
that can diffrenciate the Jakarta unique code from all other libraries
that we may use (like for example APR) I can not use name-spaces so I chose
a prefix (similar to what ap_ is in apache)

> - Can we add a bit of structure, like separating the files by
> functionality ( like isapi, nsapi, apach modules, general  functions like
> log, tcp, config, etc) ? ( I still remember a bit of C, but from a Java
> point of view it's nice to have some packages and interfaces :-)

You are correct about putting the IIS and NSAPI code in different
directories, the other parts of the code however are common to both of them and
should be in a "common" jk directory. I see that you also mention apache,
adding support for apache using the current code is really trivial (one
very short file), we can have it within less then a week of my spare time.

> - There are a log of usefull and nice C methods inside - pools,
> connection, logging. I was thinking to use APR from Apache ( which is
> another library of usefull methods, very portable - I think it's not hard
> to use it with IIS or netscape as a C library ), but simpler is better,
> probably apr is too complex.

It was not a question of simple/vs complex as it is the issue of general
availability. APR (I am following it's evolution) and the Apache2.0
codebase in general has many things that I need (locks/threading/socket
abstraction ...) and it is all cross platform. I want to use it and when
it is out I will try to embed it into the plugins.

> - Did you tried JNI on Unix ? Or with Apache 2.0 ?

Not yet, not enough time, however a code very similar to this one already
worked on Solaris/AIX.

	Gal Shachor