Posted to dev@lenya.apache.org by Markus Angst <ma...@inventec.ch> on 2007/10/26 20:08:22 UTC

Axis libraries

Hi Cocoon folks,

Two months ago, an error in generating UUIDs showed up in Apache Lenya that is
originally caused by a bug in the Axis library. The discussion thread in the
Apache Lenya mailing list can be found here:
http://www.nabble.com/Mark-AxisUUIDGenerator-as-ThreadSafe-tf4349708.html.

Andreas Hartmann has fixed the issue in Lenya, but the problem in the Axis
library version that Cocoon 2.1.x is using still remains. The Axis people have
fixed the bug in their library in september 2006; see:
http://svn.apache.org/viewvc/webservices/axis/trunk/java/src/org/apache/axis/components/uuid/FastUUIDGen.java?r1=264831&r2=448984.

My question is now if it would make sense to upgrade the Axis library that is
shipped with Cocoon 2.1.x. I think the bug could be quite nasty and could maybe
also affect Cocoon applications.

WDYT?

Thanks and best regards,
Markus Angst

Re: Axis libraries

Posted by Grzegorz Kossakowski <gk...@apache.org>.
Markus Angst pisze:
> Hi Cocoon folks,
>
> Two months ago, an error in generating UUIDs showed up in Apache Lenya that is
> originally caused by a bug in the Axis library. The discussion thread in the
> Apache Lenya mailing list can be found here:
> http://www.nabble.com/Mark-AxisUUIDGenerator-as-ThreadSafe-tf4349708.html.
>
> Andreas Hartmann has fixed the issue in Lenya, but the problem in the Axis
> library version that Cocoon 2.1.x is using still remains. The Axis people have
> fixed the bug in their library in september 2006; see:
> http://svn.apache.org/viewvc/webservices/axis/trunk/java/src/org/apache/axis/components/uuid/FastUUIDGen.java?r1=264831&r2=448984.
>
> My question is now if it would make sense to upgrade the Axis library that is
> shipped with Cocoon 2.1.x. I think the bug could be quite nasty and could maybe
> also affect Cocoon applications.
>
> WDYT?

I think your e-mail is more suitable for developers list but anyway the best thing you can do is to
create an issue in JIRA[1] and put your comments there so it's not going to be lost.

If you agreed on testing Cocoon's 2.1.x branch after upgrade I would be happy to make it as soon as
time permits.

[1] https://issues.apache.org/jira/

--
Grzegorz Kossakowski

Re: Axis libraries

Posted by Jörn Nettingsmeier <ne...@apache.org>.
markus, since you are most familiar with the issue - could you forward
this to cocoon-dev? i think we'll get a quicker response there.

--
Jörn Nettingsmeier

   - Ken Thompson.