Posted to dev@shindig.apache.org by ajay singh <aj...@tekritisoftware.com> on 2008/07/14 12:59:16 UTC

how to debug while connectiong shindig to SNS backend

Hi

I am connecting shindig to my SNS backend data.
Now If any error occurs in  my service  files (People,Activities,AppData), then how to know this error?
Suppose i have done any syntax error in writing query in my dbfetcher( something like PartuzaDbFetcher) then how can i debug the error.

Thanks
Ajay

Re: how to debug while connectiong shindig to SNS backend

Posted by Chris Chabot <ch...@xs4all.nl>.
The problem with logging for php apps is that it's just... dead
slow ... An error log is no problem (set_error_handler &
set_exception_handler are your friends to build that), but to really
'log' ... the amount of waiting between processes would quickly affect
the performance & scalability.

I've played with the idea of building a good but basic error logging
facility into shindig, but i'm also afraid it'll conflict with sites
that integrate shindig, and people are just used to normal php errors
in their browser window, so far i haven't dared to attempt it yet.

If you think such a thing should be put into shindig, i could whip one
up pretty quickly

	-- Chris

Posted by Ropu <ro...@gmail.com>.

--
.-. --- .--. ..-
R o p u

Re: how to debug while connectiong shindig to SNS backend

Posted by Chris Chabot <ch...@xs4all.nl>.
If you set your error reporting to E_ALL | E_STRICT in your php.ini,
and display_errors to on, all your syntax errors etc should show up in
shindig's output.

In the case of the social requests, to be able to see them, firebug is
your friend as Ropu suggested, imo you just can't develop a web
application without it :) Also those errors should show up in your
apache log's.. but i find for me it just works quicker to check out
the results in firebug.

For debugging a simple syslog(5, '... my message ...'); works wonders
(messages then turn up /var/log/messages on a *nix machine), or echo's
and print_r's combined with firebug works well too (but with the
downside it'll break the json/etc syntax so for the situations where
you just want some info syslog is better suited).

For 'real debugging', get a copy of Zend Studio for eclipse, install
the zend debug server to your php installation, and you can do full,
real debugging in eclipse... i wouldn't call it required, but
sometimes visual tracing and inspecting can be quite enlightening :)

	-- Chris

Posted by ajay singh <aj...@tekritisoftware.com>.
Thanks Ropu

--
R o p u

Re: how to debug while connectiong shindig to SNS backend

Posted by Ropu <ro...@gmail.com>.

--
R o p u