Posted to common-user@hadoop.apache.org by Gang Luo <lg...@yahoo.com.cn> on 2010/01/05 23:26:42 UTC

combiner statistics

Hi all,
when I run a mapreduce job using combiner, I find that the combiner input # > map output #, and combiner output # > reduce input #. My understanding to this is that, the combiner has to re-read some records which have already been spilled to disk and combine them with those records which come later. These re-read records are also counted as the "input", thus increase the input counter value. Similarly, for we possibly do the combine on the same key multiple times, we have to write it to disk multiple times, thus increase the combiner output counter.

Please correct me it there is some problem in my understanding.

Besides, I am not sure whether the combiner can guarantee there is only one record for each distinct key in each map task. Or does it just "try its best" to combine?

Thanks.

-Gang

  好玩贺卡等你发,邮箱贺卡全新上线!
http://card.mail.cn.yahoo.com/

Re: combiner statistics

Posted by Gang Luo <lg...@yahoo.com.cn>.
Thanks. What I mean is, the combiner doesn't "intentionally" re-read spilled records back to memory just to combine them. But it does happens that some records will be re-read for sort. I think combiner should work on those records.

-Gang

My understanding to this is that, the combiner has to re-read some records
> which have already been spilled to disk and combine them with those records
> which come later.

I believe the combine operation is done before map spill and after reduce
merge. Combine only occurs in the memory, instead of re-read records from
disks.

> Besides, I am not sure whether the combiner can guarantee there is only one
> record for each distinct key in each map task. Or does it just "try its
> best" to combine?

Yes, they can only "try their best".

  好玩贺卡等你发,邮箱贺卡全新上线!
http://card.mail.cn.yahoo.com/