Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by Manuel Vacelet <ma...@gmail.com> on 2006/02/03 16:48:03 UTC

[users@httpd] Sporadic (and very anoying) file rights issues

Hello all,

I posted 1 week ago about a problem of access rights with apache and subversion.

Today, I'm pretty sure it's an apache problem because I'm now facing
the bug with another application.

due to a problem of access rights on the directory created to store
the transaction. The directory is created with following rights:
drw-rwSrw- tnx...

Note: the 'S' means 'parent directory has setgid but you created a
directory without execution rights'. It's a kind of error state.
The problem is: execution rights on the directory are missing (so the
directoy is not very useful).

Today I discovered that another application on the same server have
the same behaviour:
* From time to time, this C program called by a php script (I know...
but I'm not the one who wrote the code!) faild because it create a
directory without execution rights.

In both cases, the most low level routine called in C is mkdir with
'0755' (sounds like good for a directory).

mkdir man page tells us umask influence mkdir behaviour but since the
problem is not systematic, I think there is a problem somewhere in
apache.

Note:
* I'm running a x86 SMP box with RHEL3 and apache 2.0.48-16 RPM
provided by subversion rpm packager here:
http://the.earth.li/pub/subversion/summersoft.fay.ar.us/pub/subversion/latest/rhel-3/bin/
* I cannot reproduce this bug on my test server with the same configuration.

Someone can help me ?