Posted to marketing@openoffice.apache.org by Rob Weir <ro...@apache.org> on 2011/10/28 15:30:38 UTC

Request: Link to AOOo blog

If you query Google for : openoffice blog, our project blog appears
#10 on the search results.  This is on the bottom of the first page of
results.  It is good that we are on the first page, but we should
appear much higher, ideally in the #1 position.

One way to improve this is to have relevant links to the blog from
other websites.  As Google then updates its database, this raises the
"page rank" of the page which causes it to appear higher on the
results page, which will make it more prominent for people searching
for us.

I've added a link to the blog from my blog.  Could we all do this, for
relevant blogs/websites that we own or control?  Don't put it on
totally unrelated websites.  That won't help. But if you have a
website related to OpenOffice or open source software, or a personal
blog, please add a link to the blog.

The URL is:  http://blogs.apache.org/OOo/

Thanks!

-Rob

Re: Request: Link to AOOo blog

Posted by richard clary <r....@gmail.com>.
Rob, when I open google, I can't get past "p" on the search bar
without open office suggestion as a selection # two. That selection
takw you directly to OOO hame page.  Whats the problem again?

Re: Request: Link to AOOo blog

Posted by Terry <te...@yahoo.com.au>.
>>  What about a "likes" choice for facebook will that work?
>>

> That's another good approach.  I'm not sure Google looks at it in
> determining search results positioning, but it does help drive
> visitors.
>
> -Rob

There are a number of 'like' buttons.  Twitter and Google are two.

Keywords in the html coding evidently helps.  I will look at adding a link to
an old blog which turns up in a search of a pseudonym I used.

Terry

>>  On Fri, Oct 28, 2011 at 6:30 AM, Rob Weir <ro...@apache.org> wrote:
>>>  If you query Google for : openoffice blog, our project blog appears
>>>  #10 on the search results.  <snip>
>>>  One way to improve this is to have relevant links to the blog from
>>>  other websites.  As Google then updates its database, this raises the
>>>  "page rank" of the page which causes it to appear higher on the
>>>  results page, which will make it more prominent for people searching
>>>  for us.
>>>
>>>  I've added a link to the blog from my blog.  Could we all do this, for
>>>  relevant blogs/websites that we own or control?  Don't put it on
>>>  totally unrelated websites.  That won't help. But if you have a
>>>  website related to OpenOffice or open source software, or a personal
>>>  blog, please add a link to the blog.
>>>
>>>  The URL is:  http://blogs.apache.org/OOo/
>>>
>>>  Thanks!
>>>
>>>  -Rob