Posted to dev@commons.apache.org by "Mark R. Diggory" <md...@latte.harvard.edu> on 2002/09/12 23:31:34 UTC

Re: Possible Http Client Problem

Thanks I've done what you've asked.

I've tried to discern where exactly this error is occuring,
unfortunately, it is only occuring in certain cases where I'm using the
library inside a "Custom Tag" I've written, when I strip out the custom
tags and just work with the smallest possible examples I get the
following results. Here are the details I can figure out to date.

1.) When I get the InputStream from the Http Client and dump it to the
JSPWriter of a JSP page. (See example TestOutput.jsp in Test.war)  The
InputStream hangs open at the end of the content. I think until the
Server on the other end times out. Look at TestOutput.out for the log

To see the hang you need to install it in your Tomcat, in this case I'm
using version 4.0.3 on a Redhat 7.2 box. I'm currently testing it on
Tomcat 4.0.3, 4.0.4 and 4.1 on a Windows 2000 machine as well. I will
forward those results later.

2.) When this InputStream is handed to a JAXP Transformer/Parser the
InputStream stays open indefinity and never seems to close (See
TestTransform.jsp) Look at TestTransform.out for the log. Notice it
seems to go into infinite loop while reading the end of the content. I
have to kill by instance of tomcat to get it to stop.

I'm providing a link to the War file that you can download to try this
out yourself (It also has copies of the attached output files).
http://osprey.hmdc.harvard.edu:8180/Test.war

-Mark Diggory

Re: Wire Logging in Http Client

Posted by Jeff Dever <js...@sympatico.ca>.
I would have to agree with you.  Please feel free to submit a patch.  We could
use a little extra documentation surrounding logging too, if you are willing to
go that far :-)

Wire Logging in Http Client

Posted by "Mark R. Diggory" <md...@latte.harvard.edu>.
This looping issue seems cleared up for me now (checkout of HttpClient
this afternoon). I bet this had something to do with the same problem
that was happening in "Re: [HttpClient] GetMethod.execute() looping".
However, now I can't seem to get the Logging to shut off now. I'm using
Log4J in my project, if turn my root logger to off then the http client
logging goes away, but if I want to look at other logging
"categories/loggers" I need to have the root on. When I try to block
logging by creating my own logger that sets "org.apache" to "off",
nothing seems to happen.

Any tips?
-M.

Posted by "Mark R. Diggory" <md...@latte.harvard.edu>.

Mark R. Diggory wrote:

> Thanks I've done what you've asked.
>
> I've tried to discern where exactly this error is occuring,
> unfortunately, it is only occuring in certain cases where I'm using
> the library inside a "Custom Tag" I've written, when I strip out the
> custom tags and just work with the smallest possible examples I get
> the following results. Here are the details I can figure out to date.
>
> 1.) When I get the InputStream from the Http Client and dump it to the
> JSPWriter of a JSP page. (See example TestOutput.jsp in Test.war)  The
> InputStream hangs open at the end of the content. I think until the
> Server on the other end times out. Look at TestOutput.out for the log
>
> To see the hang you need to install it in your Tomcat, in this case
> I'm using version 4.0.3 on a Redhat 7.2 box. I'm currently testing it
> on Tomcat 4.0.3, 4.0.4 and 4.1 on a Windows 2000 machine as well. I
> will forward those results later.
>
> 2.) When this InputStream is handed to a JAXP Transformer/Parser the
> InputStream stays open indefinity and never seems to close (See
> TestTransform.jsp) Look at TestTransform.out for the log. Notice it
> seems to go into infinite loop while reading the end of the content. I
> have to kill by instance of tomcat to get it to stop.
>
> I'm providing a link to the War file that you can download to try this
> out yourself (It also has copies of the attached output files).
> http://osprey.hmdc.harvard.edu:8180/Test.war
>
> -Mark Diggory
>

> Jeff Dever wrote:
>
>> So a java Error is being thrown from withing the new io package
>> (assume you
>> are using java1.4).  Its quite weird that the Error is thrown, and
>> without
>> any apparent message string.
>>
>> We need a little more help in debugging this.  Can you turn on the
>> debug log
>> in httpclient, and perhaps catch the error and try to print out any
>> message
>> with the stack trace?
>>
>> -Dorg.apache.commons.logging.simplelog.defaultlog=trace
>> -Dorg.apache.commons.logging.Log=org.apache.commons.logging.impl.SimpleLog

hangs here for about a minute or so....

> [...]
>[TRACE] HttpMethod - -enter HttpMethodBase.readResponseBody(HttpState, HttpConnection)
>[TRACE] HttpConnection - -enter HttpConnection.getRequestOutputStream(HttpMethod)
>[TRACE] HttpMethod - -enter writeRemainingRequestBody(HttpState, HttpConnection)
>Reading InputStream
>[TRACE] GetMethod - -enter GetMethod.getResponseBodyAsStream()
>Building Transformer
>Building Template
>Getting Transformer
>Transforming
>[DEBUG] wire - -<< <?xml version="1.0" encoding="ISO-8859-1"?>
><codeBook>
>	<stdyDscr>
>		<citation>
>			<titlStmt>
>				<titl>Annual Survey of Governments, 1973 and 1974: Government Employment and Finance Files</titl>

goes on like this forever....