Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Roger <rx...@gmail.com> on 2007/06/18 10:08:15 UTC

Windows or Linux as Tomcat server?

Hello there!

At our office we use Windows 2003 as Tomcat server. For several clients we
need to install new servers at an ISP, and we have the choice of using Linux
or Windows. As performance is more and more of an issue, we are wondering
whether Tomcat will perform better on Linux.

- What are your experiences?
- We see that Tomcat uses more and more memory over time on our Windows
servers. Is that the same on Linux?
- Do you have (links to) objective tests or reviews that I can look at?

I have found this one, but would like to see some more tests...
http://www.webperformanceinc.com/library/reports/windows_vs_linux_part2/index.html

Roger

Re: Windows or Linux as Tomcat server?

Posted by Johnny Kewl <jo...@kewlstuff.co.za>.
The memory issue is something that will probably occur on either OS... if
you have the source code of the web-apps tell the programmer to stick them
back into the dev environment and profile them.
Its very unlikely that its tomcat, its probably a badly written web-app.
Alternately get something like Jmeter and whack each webapp, and try see
which one is eating memory.
Some links to help
http://tomcat.apache.org/faq/memory.html
http://blogs.ittoolbox.com/eai/software/archives/tracking-java-performance-for-free-10037
And then on windows... you can also just watch the handles in the task
manager.

If there is a linux expert around, use linux just because it doesnt have all
the gui, its unlikely that someone will load games on it, and its rock solid
once setup.
But if you dont know linux, have no idea what distribution to use, Debian,
Fedora, Gentoo.... etc etc.... and this thing needs to be done inside a
month, forget it, you probably wont know how to find Tomcat, never mind use
it.... its a big learning curve. Rather start learning linux, for your next
project, and learn how to interface it with windows, so your client can at
least read the log table.

Good Luck

Posted by Peter Crowther <Pe...@melandra.com>.
Something to think about: licensing.  If you're running Windows 2003 or
above, and you have *any* kind of authentication on your webapp, you
need CALs (or, in this case, an Internet connection license) on the
Windows server.  The Web edition has different restrictions, but read
the license agreement *very* carefully to check what you can and cannot
do with it - you may find it unsuitable for your purpose.

For those who still think you can run Tomcat on a Windows 2003 server
without paying the Microsoft tax... read the license agreement
carefully.  Some key terms changed between Windows 2000 (where you only
needed CALs if the Windows infrastructure was providing authentication
via Active Directory) and 2003.

		- Peter

Re: Windows or Linux as Tomcat server?

Posted by Andrew Miehs <an...@2sheds.de>.

Re: Windows or Linux as Tomcat server?

Posted by Ronald Klop <ro...@base.nl>.
If you don't start Tomcat as a service, but from the command line, don't output too much. The command line of Windows is very slow.

Ronald.

Posted by David kerber <dc...@verizon.net>.

Posted by 吴熊敏 <xw...@ublearning.com>.
You'd better use linux.

Windows is too bad to run Tomcat!!!

Posted by Johnny Kewl <jo...@kewlstuff.co.za>.
Roger, I think get your SP to set up a test linux box for you, for the
office.
You will need it for developers to test...
Yes tomcat is perfectly compatible, but unfortunately developers are not and
it very easy to slip in the code.... ie programmer has d:\property\ hard
coded somewhere.
Or more subtly, they have used say captcha and have used Swing, and the
linux box runs headless... just little things that are going to catch you.
You have to have a linux box if dev people all have MS background.

What I also wanted to say is have a look at Postgres SQL server, it has a
windows and naturally a linux version. It also has ODBC/JDBC drivers so the
guys can still develop through Access even if its on a linux box, and its
mega powerful, supports transaction concurrency, everything.
but... the SQL (like all other DBMS's) is slightly different.... in general
just keep it simple, ie triggers and stored procedures are very different to
MS.

Anyway start getting the guys onto that, even if you do decide to keep it
all on MS.... and you going to deploy as a free man ;)

good luck....

Posted by Tim Funk <fu...@joedog.org>.
Both will perform good enough. Odds are linux will perform better but
the difference wont be good enough if your admins can't support linux
servers and they are all MS certified.

Personally - I loathe admin'ing windows machines since I need to use a
GUI (and mouse) to typically accomplish anything. (YMMV)

-Tim