Posted to user@struts.apache.org by Michael Kastner <ka...@galt.de> on 2004/06/22 15:38:27 UTC

no struts classes (jar files) found by application

Hello,

maybe someone can help. I've tried to deploy two struts applications to
two tomcat test servers (one running tomcat 5.0 and one running tomcat
4.1) but I can't get it to work on neither of them.

For development purposes I had all required jar files in the
application's WEB-INF lib. Then I've removed them all and deployed my
war files to the servers.

I've put all the struts _war_ files from the jakarta-struts-1.1/webapps
dir into my server's _webapps_ dir as described in the installation part
of the struts documentation.

After restarting the _servers_ all applications in my webapps folder
were properly deployed but my own struts application (which is not
located in the webapps dir) could neither find the struts classes nor
any other classes required.

Does anybody know why?

How can I make Tomcat (4 and 5) find the struts jar files i.e. classes?

The only way I can get my application running is to put all required
jars into the application's WEB-INF/lib directory. Since this is not my
only struts application I end up with multiple copies of theses jar
files on the same server.

It works that way, but that's not how it's supposed to work, or is there
something I am missing?

Any help is appreciated.

Greetings

Michael Kastner

Re: no struts classes (jar files) found by application

Posted by Ricardo Andres Quintero <rq...@ubiquando.com.co>.
Hello:

all of the web app when using Sevlets or Jsps, must conform
the Servlet 2.1 especification. I mean it must have a WEB-INF
directory and a lib and classes directories into it, in addition to
a web.xml file, called the web deployment descriptor.

The webclassloader follows certain steps when loading classes
like jars. u could cut the struts jars from the lib directory of
your web app and u could put them into the lib directory of tomcat, i mean
common/lib, so that they wolud be available for all the web apps.

u could also put them in the ext directory from ur java machine,
but that's your decision, and the system manager's decision too.

I think there is no problem about having several copies of the
struts jar, because each application is independent.

On Tue, 22 Jun 2004 16:43:23 +0200, Dirk Markert wrote
> Hello Michael,

> MK> Hello,
>
> MK> maybe someone can help. I've tried to deploy two struts
> applications to MK> two tomcat test servers (one running tomcat 5.0
> and one running tomcat MK> 4.1) but I can't get it to work on
> neither of them.
>
> MK> For development purposes I had all required jar files in the
> MK> application's WEB-INF lib. Then I've removed them all and
> deployed my MK> war files to the servers.
>
> MK> I've put all the struts _war_ files from the jakarta-struts-1.1/webapps
> MK> dir into my server's _webapps_ dir as described in the
> installation part MK> of the struts documentation.
>
> MK> After restarting the _servers_ all applications in my webapps folder
> MK> were properly deployed but my own struts application (which is
> not MK> located in the webapps dir) could neither find the struts
> classes nor MK> any other classes required.
>
> MK> Does anybody know why?
>
> MK> How can I make Tomcat (4 and 5) find the struts jar files i.e. classes?
>
> MK> The only way I can get my application running is to put all required
> MK> jars into the application's WEB-INF/lib directory. Since this is
> not my MK> only struts application I end up with multiple copies of
> theses jar MK> files on the same server.
>
> MK> It works that way, but that's not how it's supposed to work, or
> is there MK> something I am missing?
>
> That's exactly the way it is supposed to work. Don't try anything
> else.
>
> MK> Any help is appreciated.
>
> MK> Greetings
>
> MK> Michael Kastner

> Regards,
> Dirk
>
> +------- Quality leads ---------------------------------------+
> | Dirk Markert                     dirk.markert@dr-markert.de |
> | Dr. Markert Softwaretechnik AG                              |
> | Joseph-von-Fraunhofer-Str. 20                               |
> | 44227 Dortmund                                              |

Ricardo Andrés Quintero R.
Ubiquando Ltda.

Re: no struts classes (jar files) found by application

Posted by Michael Kastner <ka...@galt.de>.
Hello,

I just wanted to thank all those, who replied to my question. Thanks for
all the useful hints.

I must have been blind. The link, mentioned by Bill, really explains it:

http://jakarta.apache.org/struts/userGuide/configuration.html#config_add

Thanks for your patience

Michael Kastner

Re[2]: no struts classes (jar files) found by application

Posted by Dirk Markert <di...@dr-markert.de>.
Hello Michael,

MK> Hello Dirk,

MK> thanks for your answer.

MK> That means that I end up with tons of redundant struts packages on my
MK> production machines and many redundantdantdant class loading processes
MK> on server startup. Oh well, hard to digest ...

MK> BTW, do you know by any chance whether this applies to the velocity
MK> packages and to the commons libraries too?

Bill in an earlier mail gives you the link to a document describing
the problem in more detail. I don't know whether velocity can be put
into the shared directory, but I doubt and wouldn't advise.

Posted by Michael Kastner <ka...@galt.de>.
Hello Dirk,

Posted by Dirk Markert <di...@dr-markert.de>.
Hello Michael,

Posted by Bill Siggelkow <bi...@bellsouth.net>.
Actually -- that is how its supposed to work :)

Sharing of the Struts jars across applications is not supported. For
more details see:
http://jakarta.apache.org/struts/userGuide/configuration.html#config_add

Bill Siggelkow

Michael Kastner wrote:

> Hello,
>
> maybe someone can help. I've tried to deploy two struts applications to
> two tomcat test servers (one running tomcat 5.0 and one running tomcat
> 4.1) but I can't get it to work on neither of them.
>
> For development purposes I had all required jar files in the
> application's WEB-INF lib. Then I've removed them all and deployed my
> war files to the servers.
>
> I've put all the struts _war_ files from the jakarta-struts-1.1/webapps
> dir into my server's _webapps_ dir as described in the installation part
> of the struts documentation.
>
> After restarting the _servers_ all applications in my webapps folder
> were properly deployed but my own struts application (which is not
> located in the webapps dir) could neither find the struts classes nor
> any other classes required.
>
> Does anybody know why?
>
> How can I make Tomcat (4 and 5) find the struts jar files i.e. classes?
>
> The only way I can get my application running is to put all required
> jars into the application's WEB-INF/lib directory. Since this is not my
> only struts application I end up with multiple copies of theses jar
> files on the same server.
>
> It works that way, but that's not how it's supposed to work, or is there
> something I am missing?
>

> Any help is appreciated.
>

> Greetings
>
> Michael Kastner

Re: no struts classes (jar files) found by application

Posted by DG...@EvergreenInvestments.com.
http://jakarta.apache.org/tomcat/tomcat-4.1-doc/class-loader-howto.html
http://jakarta.apache.org/tomcat/tomcat-5.0-doc/class-loader-howto.html

For classes and resources that must be shared across all web applications,
place unpacked classes and resources under $CATALINA_BASE/shared/classes,
or place JAR files containing those classes and resources under
$CATALINA_BASE/shared/lib.

Dennis

Michael Kastner <ka...@galt.de>
06/22/2004 09:38 AM