Posted to dev@commons.apache.org by "Chan, Jesse Rosetta" <je...@merck.com> on 2003/01/06 19:55:12 UTC

[SUBMIT] jakarta.commons.Collections.ChainedHashMap

Hi all,

A while back I wrote a Collection util called "ChainedHashMap" that I would
now like to contribute to Jakarta Commons Collections.  (This is my first
submission to Jakarta, so I apologize in advance if my mailing-list
etiquette is lacking :).  Whereas, a java.util.HashMap allows for a unique
key-value pair, a ChainedHashMap allows for a unique key-values pair [along
with a lot of convenience methods].  The code is submitted along with proper
documentation, javadoc, unit test, etc.  The included documentation (in .pdf
format) is an article I am writing about ChainedHashMap -- hopefully to be
submitted to a Java magazine -- that explains what a ChainedHashMap is,
basic usage, performance, and some areas of application.  Note: The package
name in ChainedHashMap and ChainedHashMapTest need to be modified from
rosetta.opslims.lvs.util to jakarta.commons.collections.  Thank you,
Jakarta, for helping to make quality code for the benefit of all!  Keep up
the good work!!!

--
Jesse Chan
Software Engineer, LIMS

Notice: This e-mail message, together with any attachments, contains information of Merck & Co., Inc. (Whitehouse Station, New Jersey, USA) that may be confidential, proprietary copyrighted and/or legally privileged, and is intended solely for the use of the individual or entity named on this message.  If you are not the intended recipient, and have received this message in error, please immediately return this by e-mail and then delete it.

Re: [SUBMIT] jakarta.commons.Collections.ChainedHashMap

Posted by Rich Dougherty <ri...@rd.gen.nz>.
> A while back I wrote a Collection util called "ChainedHashMap" that I would
> now like to contribute to Jakarta Commons Collections.  (This is my first
> submission to Jakarta, so I apologize in advance if my mailing-list
> etiquette is lacking :).  Whereas, a java.util.HashMap allows for a unique
> key-value pair, a ChainedHashMap allows for a unique key-values pair [along
> with a lot of convenience methods].  The code is submitted along with proper
> documentation, javadoc, unit test, etc.  The included documentation (in .pdf
> format) is an article I am writing about ChainedHashMap -- hopefully to be
> submitted to a Java magazine -- that explains what a ChainedHashMap is,
> basic usage, performance, and some areas of application.  Note: The package
> name in ChainedHashMap and ChainedHashMapTest need to be modified from
> rosetta.opslims.lvs.util to jakarta.commons.collections.  Thank you,
> Jakarta, for helping to make quality code for the benefit of all!  Keep up
> the good work!!!

Hi Jesse

Welcome! I'm new around here too, so hopefully someone will jump in if
I'm wrong about this.

ChainedHashMap should probably extend the MultiMap interface, which is
used for mapping keys to collections of values. Also ChainedHashMap
seems to be very similar to MultiHashMap (although ChainedHashMap has a
much richer set of operations). Perhaps you could have a look at
MultiHashMap to see whether ChainedHashMap should be merged with this
class or whether it should stand on its own.

Rich