Posted to dev@subversion.apache.org by Kevin Pilch-Bisson <ke...@pilch-bisson.net> on 2002/04/09 13:57:06 UTC

Re: [Issue 650] Changed - certificate handling

On Tue, Apr 09, 2002 at 01:57:57PM -0000, issues@subversion.tigris.org wrote:
> + ------- Additional Comments From cmpilato@tigris.org  2002-04-09 06:57 -------
> + Given that SSL without certs earns us a CVS-matching encryption level,
> + assigning this a post-1.0 milestone.

This cert handling is required to use SSL properly.  We need to be able to
verify that the server cert is valid.  For example warn about self-signed
server certs, etc.

Without this cert handling, SSL buys us no security whatsoever (well not much
at least).

Kevin Pilch-Bisson                    http://www.pilch-bisson.net
     "Historically speaking, the presences of wheels in Unix
     has never precluded their reinvention." - Larry Wall

Re: [Issue 650] Changed - certificate handling

Posted by Peter Mathiasson <pe...@mathiasson.nu>.

Sounds fine with me. I'll just use stunnel until then. www.stunnel.org.

--
Peter Mathiasson, peter at mathiasson dot nu, http://www.mathiasson.nu
GPG Fingerprint: A9A7 F8F6 9821 F415 B066 77F1 7FF5 C2E6 7BF2 F228

Re: [Issue 650] Changed - certificate handling

Posted by Greg Stein <gs...@lyra.org>.
On Tue, Apr 09, 2002 at 10:37:41PM +0200, Peter Mathiasson wrote:
> On Tue, Apr 09, 2002 at 11:20:57AM -0400, Greg Hudson wrote:
> > Eh?  This is not ssh.  Either a certificate is signed by a chain leading
> > to a trusted CA or it's not.

Right. If it is a trusted CA, then caching isn't necessary. If the root CA
is untrusted, then you may still want to trust the cert, so you cache the
fingerprint.

> > I suppose you could cache self-signed certificates so that you'd know if
> > you're getting the same one each time, but certificates do expire, so
> > that's not especially valuble.

Yup, but when a cert expires, then you can requery whether the person wants
to trust it, then cache the new cert/fingerprint.

> I use self-signed certificates, and send them to thoose who need them
> through a trusted channel; phone or gpg signed email.

I expect this will be used a *lot* in development environments. Trust chains
are very different within a dev group, than when you're talking aobut the
Internet as a whole.

> Saving certificate fingerprints, or even whole certificates is a must.
> There should also be a way to pre-install certificates prior to the
> first use.

Yes.

> I'm not saying this is an important issue for the time being, but
> sometime in the future it should be implemented.

I have marked issue 650 as "beta". It is arguably a biggish feature to
implement and could thus be flagged "alpha", but there is no way we could
call ourselves beta without it.

Cheers,
-g

--
Greg Stein, http://www.lyra.org/

Re: [Issue 650] Changed - certificate handling

Posted by Peter Mathiasson <pe...@mathiasson.nu>.

Posted by Daniel Stenberg <da...@haxx.se>.
On Tue, 9 Apr 2002, Kevin Pilch-Bisson wrote:

> > I suppose you could cache self-signed certificates so that you'd know if
> > you're getting the same one each time, but certificates do expire, so
> > that's not especially valuble.

> This is what I was thinking of.  How quickly do the certs expire?

Certs expire at a given date, so it can in fact expire between any two
connects.

> My idea was to do something like:
>
> "Warning self-signed certificate from host foo with fingerprint bar.
> Continue connecting?"
>
> Then cache the result of that, so that the warning only shows up the first
> time.

The expire date is also a readable from the certificate, so it doesn't need
to be a surprise to the client when that happens.

--
      Daniel Stenberg - http://daniel.haxx.se - +46-705-44 31 77

Re: [Issue 650] Changed - certificate handling

Posted by Kevin Pilch-Bisson <ke...@pilch-bisson.net>.
On Tue, Apr 09, 2002 at 11:20:57AM -0400, Greg Hudson wrote:
> On Tue, 2002-04-09 at 11:04, Kevin Pilch-Bisson wrote:
> > Sorry, I should have read the whole issue.  I would say that only a small part
> > of the stuff mentioned in the issue needs to be done for alpha.  Namely
> > caching the server certs or there fingerprints so that we can detect
> > man-in-the-middle attacks.
>
> Eh?  This is not ssh.  Either a certificate is signed by a chain leading
> to a trusted CA or it's not.

Right.  This isn't implemented yet though, and needs to be.

> I suppose you could cache self-signed certificates so that you'd know if
> you're getting the same one each time, but certificates do expire, so
> that's not especially valuble.

This is what I was thinking of.  How quickly do the certs expire?  My idea was

Posted by Greg Hudson <gh...@MIT.EDU>.

Posted by cm...@collab.net.
Kevin Pilch-Bisson <ke...@pilch-bisson.net> writes:

> Sorry, I should have read the whole issue.  I would say that only a
> small part of the stuff mentioned in the issue needs to be done for
> alpha.  Namely caching the server certs or there fingerprints so
> that we can detect man-in-the-middle attacks.  That's about the only
> thing we're missing compared to CVS with an SSH tunnel.

Will you update the issue accordingly, please?

Re: [Issue 650] Changed - certificate handling

Posted by Kevin Pilch-Bisson <ke...@pilch-bisson.net>.