Posted to dev@servicemix.apache.org by Bruce Snyder <br...@gmail.com> on 2007/12/01 04:15:26 UTC

Re: Reorganizing the svn tree

On Nov 30, 2007 12:41 PM, Guillaume Nodet <gn...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Sounds good. I don't much troubles for ServiceMix 3.x users (as a simple svn
> switch should be enough),

Yeah, that's true. I forgot that we're not reorganizing the SMX 3 SVN
tree right now. My main concern was how a reorganization would affect
the SMX release process and distribution.

> and I doubt there are lots of ServiceMix 4 users
> around here...  But we can formalize things a bit more.

I think it's worth describing the SVN tree in a wiki page so that
users know what lives where.

Bruce
);'

Apache ActiveMQ - http://activemq.org/
Castor - http://castor.org/

Re: Reorganizing the svn tree

Posted by James Strachan <ja...@gmail.com>.
On 05/12/2007, Guillaume Nodet <gn...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Ok, i would agree if we can get them under a single groupId: all bundles
> would use the groupId: org.apache.servicemix.bundles.  That way, it's easy
> to find bundles in the maven repo and allow moving them if we find the need
> at some point.

+1

--
James
-------

Open Source Integration
http://open.iona.com

Re: Reorganizing the svn tree

Posted by Guillaume Nodet <gn...@gmail.com>.

--
Cheers,
Guillaume Nodet

Re: Reorganizing the svn tree

Posted by Guillaume Nodet <gn...@gmail.com>.
Is there any need for a single root pom without any real version number, so
that all our projects inherit from it ?
It would contain the committers list, mailing lists, etc...
I guess we can easily duplicate it in the subtrees, but duplication is
usually a bad idea.

Anyway, I'll start reorganizing the svn tree monday unless someone has some
objections.

--
Cheers,
Guillaume Nodet

Posted by James Strachan <ja...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Bruce Snyder <br...@gmail.com>.
On Dec 5, 2007 3:20 AM, James Strachan <ja...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 05/12/2007, Guillaume Nodet <gn...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > That makes perfect sense.  However i'm a bit worried about the bundles,
> > because lots of different components will require different bundles.  As
> > soon as we want to integrate a camel component, we will need to make bundles
> > for its dependencies.  I don't really see why we should release the runtime
> > to add such a bundle (which btw would not be included).  So while I agree on
> > a more coarse grained separation, I would split the bundles from the
> > remaining of the code (it does not really involve any code, just a pom) so
> > that we can easily release bundles separatly, as once a bundle is released,
> > it will rarely require further releases.  Wdyt ?
>
> Yeah I guess. Another option could be to split the bundles, those
> required by the runtime go in the runtime release (so mostly things
> like JAXB and spring dependent stuff). Then have the remaining bundles
> required by the components in the components release?
>
> So if, say, a new camel release comes out, you'd only need to release
> the components module for the new camel bundle and the camel
> component? (Rather than release the bundles first, then once that
> release is up on the public site, release the components - causing a
> delay of a week or two per component release).
>
> (Bad example I guess as all the jars in camel are bundles already, but
> I totally take your point :)
>
> Given the simplicity of the bundle stuff; am tempted to just hide 'em
> where they make the most sense to go (i.e .with their core dependency
> - runtime, jbi/nmr or components)? At least to start with - we can
> tinker later on if we find bundles that don't fit nicely?

This looks to be getting pretty complex. Any way to simplify it and
make it more straightforward? Can't a bundle list it's dependencies
and versions to make all these inter-dependencies from the runtime and
the core bundles disappear? E.g., if it comes time to release a new

http://bruceblog.org/

Re: Reorganizing the svn tree

Posted by James Strachan <ja...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Guillaume Nodet <gn...@gmail.com>.