Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Marc Guillemot <mg...@yahoo.fr> on 2005/07/22 11:13:56 UTC

Configure "email catcher" for dev and stage environments?

Hi,

in dev and stage environments, we are working with real data but have to avoid that email are really sent to the users.
Our current solution is that the code sending emails checks what the current environment is to know if it should really
send the email to the specified address or to a special configured "catch address".

This is not really a clean solution and I was wondering how other are proceding? Is there a possibility to configure
Tomcat to say that the provided mail Session should not really send the emails but "catch them"?

Marc.

Re: Configure "email catcher" for dev and stage environments?

Posted by Tim Funk <fu...@joedog.org>.
An "easier" solution is to build your own mail server which eats all the
emails or redirects them to a test email account where you can view the results.

-Tim

Posted by Marc Guillemot <mg...@yahoo.fr>.
Dirk.Weigenand wrote:

 > You could then set up another 'fake' smtp server that simply sends your
 > messages to /dev/null or stores them locally for later inspection. Have
 > a look at james:
 >
 > http://james.apache.org/
 >
 > or dumbster:
 >
 > http://quintanasoft.com/dumbster/

thanks for the links. dumbster looks seems to be very interesting for unit testing as well.

Marc.