Posted to users@subversion.apache.org by Lutz Frommberger <lu...@informatik.uni-bremen.de> on 2005/06/17 10:39:50 UTC

Setting property on non-local target

Hi,

my command line client says

$ LANG="C" svn propset property "text" URL
svn: Setting property on non-local target 'URL' not yet supported

$ svn --version
svn, Version 1.1.4 (r13838)

Any idea when this will be supported? It's an important feature here:
setting a property in the main directory of the repository is impossible
for large projects with many branches and tags otherwise.

Are there any other clients supporting this?

regards,
--
Lutz Frommberger
SFB/TR 8 Spatial Cognition - Project R3-[Q-Shape]

Re: Setting property on non-local target

Posted by Scott Palmer <sc...@2connected.org>.
On Jun 17, 2005, at 6:39 AM, Lutz Frommberger wrote:

> Any idea when this will be supported? It's an important feature here:
> setting a property in the main directory of the repository is
> impossible
> for large projects with many branches and tags otherwise.

What if you check out non-recursively?

Re: Setting property on non-local target

Posted by Ben Collins-Sussman <su...@collab.net>.
On Jun 17, 2005, at 9:55 AM, Lutz Frommberger wrote:

> Am Freitag, den 17.06.2005, 07:53 -0500 schrieb Ben Collins-Sussman:
>
>> It won't ever be supported.
>>

> Sounds plausible.
>
> It would be nice to get rid of the misleading syntax help offered
> by the
> clients. Or at least the subversion book should be adapted. I was
> really
> thinking to have an outdated client, because all the documentation
> told
> me it was possible: the subversion book even offers a non-local
> property
> change as an example.

The book is correct;  it shows the remote modification of a
*revision* property, which is an unversioned bit of metadata attached
to a revision.  That's a different animal than the versioned
properties attached to files and dirs.

Re: Setting property on non-local target

Posted by Lutz Frommberger <lu...@informatik.uni-bremen.de>.

Posted by Ben Collins-Sussman <su...@collab.net>.
On Jun 17, 2005, at 5:39 AM, Lutz Frommberger wrote:

> Hi,
>
> my command line client says
>
> $ LANG="C" svn propset property "text" URL
> svn: Setting property on non-local target 'URL' not yet supported
>
> $ svn --version
> svn, Version 1.1.4 (r13838)
>
> Any idea when this will be supported? It's an important feature here:
> setting a property in the main directory of the repository is
> impossible
> for large projects with many branches and tags otherwise.
>
> Are there any other clients supporting this?

It won't ever be supported.  A subversion client cannot change
versioned data (either text *or* properties) except by making the
change in a working copy first, then committing.  If we allowed users
to directly upload text or props, it would defeat the entire conflict
resolution process.  You'd likely be overwriting somebody else's
changes that you've never seen.

Granted, someone *could* write a program that does an unconditional
propchange write to the repository, without any working copy.  The
'svnput.c' example program in the svn source tree demonstrates this
for text changes, though it's plastered with danger warnings.  It
could be adapted to do a propset instead.