Posted to dev@uima.apache.org by Richard Eckart de Castilho <re...@apache.org> on 2023/07/10 10:13:24 UTC

Required Java 17 for future UIMA releases

Hi all,

how about we switch to requiring Java 17 for using future UIMA releases?
This is about the compiler target. So the proposal is that future releases won't run
anymore on anything lower than Java 17.

There are several major libraries out there already that won't work anymore on
Java versions lower than 17. I do not see a good reason why particularly UIMA should
stay on Java 1.8 or even on Java 11.

Note that to *build* UIMA, Java 11 is already required now (because of Tycho 2.x) and
when we upgrade to Tycho 3.x, Java 17 will be required to build the code. But presently,
we still have set the compiler target to Java 1.8.

This change would be introduced at the next feature-level release (i.e. second digit of
the version number increases). E.g. for the UIMA Java SDK, that would be 3.5.0.

I'm looking forward to your feedback. Short +1 approvals are as welcome as any concerns
you might have.

Cheers,

-- Richard

P.S: This mail is cross-posted to the dev and user mailing lists with responses targeting
     the users list.

Re: Required Java 17 for future UIMA releases