Posted to user@ofbiz.apache.org by Sharan-F <sh...@gmail.com> on 2015/07/17 09:40:09 UTC

Smaller Version of OFBIz Powered By Logo

Hi All

Does anyone know how to make some smaller versions (120x90px) of our Powered
By OFBiz logo?

https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/download/attachments/7766031/pb-ofbiz.jpg?api=v2
<https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/download/attachments/7766031/pb-ofbiz.jpg?api=v2>

The default one is pretty big. Maybe we need to have a copy of all the OFBiz
logos in this size......

Thanks
Sharan

Re: Smaller Version of OFBIz Powered By Logo

Posted by Sharan-F <sh...@gmail.com>.
Wow - that was fast! Thanks Ashish.

Re: Smaller Version of OFBIz Powered By Logo

Posted by Ashish Redkar <as...@vnnogile.com>.
PFA image

--
Ashish Redkar
Director and Co-Founder

Re: Smaller Version of OFBIz Powered By Logo

Posted by Ashish Redkar <as...@vnnogile.com>.
Sharon,

Please find below logo 120 * 90px size.

[image: Inline image 1]

Cheers,
Ashish Redkar

On Fri, Jul 17, 2015 at 1:10 PM, Sharan-F <sh...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi All
>
> Does anyone know how to make some smaller versions (120x90px) of our
> Powered
> By OFBiz logo?
>

> https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/download/attachments/7766031/pb-ofbiz.jpg?api=v2
> <
> https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/download/attachments/7766031/pb-ofbiz.jpg?api=v2
> >

> The default one is pretty big. Maybe we need to have a copy of all the
> OFBiz
> logos in this size......
>
> Thanks
> Sharan

Ashish Redkar
Director and Co-Founder
vnnogile Solutions

Re: Smaller Version of OFBIz Powered By Logo

Posted by Pierre Smits <pi...@gmail.com>.
Preferable we should have various sized web banners as per
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Web_banner, e.g.

   - Leaderboard (728 x 90 px)
   - Full banner (468 x 60 px)
   - Half banner (234 x 60 px)
   - Button 1 (120 x 90 px)
   - Button 2 (120 x 60 px)

Best regards,

Pierre Smits

*ORRTIZ.COM <http://www.orrtiz.com>*
Services & Solutions for Cloud-
Based Manufacturing, Professional
Services and Retail & Trade
http://www.orrtiz.com

Posted by Julien NICOLAS <ju...@nomaka.fr>.
Hi Sharan,

There is no problem, the document is under CC-BY-SA v4 licence, so you
can do what you want :)

Just ask me about material you need to translate, I'll try to provide
you ASAP :)
If you prefer to do it yourself, I can share you the source file (with
text in text and not in path). It can be modify by the Inkscape free
software <https://inkscape.org/en/>.

Julien.

Posted by Julien NICOLAS <ju...@nomaka.fr>.
Hi Sharan,

It's possible to have a vectorial leaflet, we made the OFBiz France
leaflet <http://www.nomaka.fr/ofbiz/leaflet2015v4-vectorized-text.svg>
in vectorial (without picture, only drawing).
We use Inkscape but it's better to use Scribus (I prefer Inkscape).

Except the pictures, this one is quite simple to reproduced :)
For an original leaflet, it's quite more difficult and really difficult
to find consensus with the community :D
Tastes and colours are always different for every people ;)

So tell me if you need me to copy it in vectorial format I can manage to
do it this month :)

Julien.

PS : I think, there is 2 pages, can you send me the other one ?
PPS : I don't know if the copyright allow us to copy this leaflet or
not. Could you manage to ask Hotwax for that before starting to work on
it ? ^^

Posted by Julien NICOLAS <ju...@nomaka.fr>.
Hi Sharan,

The big difference between png/jpg/gif and vectorial file is the
vectorial is not a binary file. Vector file is not a picture, It's a xml
file that describe how to draw the picture. Then you can change the
scale, the picture will always be good unlike the binary file.

Basically Svg file is lighter than binary and with a good resolution.

The other point I like, it's easier to use svg in another file unlike a
binary that you must have in the same working resolution.

I hope you catch the advantages :)

Julien.

Posted by Sharan-F <sh...@gmail.com>.
Hi Pierre

To me it's the same, I don't see a difference. We are an ASF project and
draw benefits from that. We use the tools, guidance and principles of the
ASF to grow and improve our project.

BTW I think we have gone a bit off topic here so if you'd like to start a
discussion on this then please feel free to start a new thread.

Posted by Sharan-F <sh...@gmail.com>.
Hi All

I think there might be some confusion here. We are *not *being asked to
replace our main project logo with the 'Powered By' one.

We as a project have our own logo which we can control. This is the logo
that we use now on our project website and in our products.

Earlier this year we removed the words 'The Apache Open For Business
Project” from the logo to align with what has been trademarked.

http://ofbiz.135035.n4.nabble.com/Apache-OFBiz-Project-Trademarks-and-Branding-tt4661054.html

The project logo is a graphic image that represents the project and it
doesn't have to be the full project name including 'Apache'. For example
take a look at the logos for Cassandra, Hardoop, Tomcat and Cloudstack.

Our current logo says the word OFBiz with a graphical feather in the 'O', If
we want to improve or modify our project logo then as a project we can.

One thing to be aware of is that we are currently going through the process
of making the names OFBiz and Apache OFBiz registered trademarks.

Posted by Ron Wheeler <rw...@artifact-software.com>.
On 27/07/2015 12:45 AM, Paul Foxworthy wrote:
> On 27 July 2015 at 14:39, Ron Wheeler <rw...@artifact-software.com>
> wrote:
>

>> 2) The product's name is "Apache OFBiz" not OFBiz and it makes sense for
>> the logo to include the proper name.
>>
> Then shouldn't the two words appear side by side in the logo?
>
> Cheers
>
> Paul Foxworthy

That is not always the case.
I think Sharan and I have found quite a few cases in he Apache world
where the logo just includes a graphic element (feather usually) to
reference Apache or does not include any reference to Apache in the
graphic (Solr).

The less that appears in the logo graphic gives more flexibility in how
it can be used.

There can be images in our library that include both the graphic and
some text to make it easier to get what people want on their own product
docs while retaining some consistency.
We can make as many of these as we want with whatever text people need
and want to share in the "cost" of creating.
If a company feels that it is important in their market to associate
themselves with the Apache name, they will want to have the OFBiz logo
with "Apache" above, below, right or left of the OFBiz logo.
They might do this only with their technical documentation that is going
to be read by IT people who know the Apache name.
They might just use the OFBiz logo on documentation destined for
accountants and non-technical managers who will associate Apache is with
the name of an American First Nation.

Ron

--
Ron Wheeler
President

Re: Smaller Version of OFBIz Powered By Logo

Posted by Ron Wheeler <rw...@artifact-software.com>.
On 27/07/2015 12:45 AM, Paul Foxworthy wrote:
> On 27 July 2015 at 14:39, Ron Wheeler <rw...@artifact-software.com>
> wrote:
>

>> 2) The product's name is "Apache OFBiz" not OFBiz and it makes sense for
>> the logo to include the proper name.
>>
> Then shouldn't the two words appear side by side in the logo?
>
> Cheers
>
> Paul Foxworthy

Could but it is not required.
SOLR and Lucene don't use the Apache name in their logo. Lucene uses the
Apache feather in the logo.
Maven also incorporates the feather into the logo without the name.
The product should be called "Apache OFBiz" when it is being identified
or introduced but "OFBiz" can be used in subsequent text.

If it is used in a logo, it does not have to be side by side.

http://www.apache.org/foundation/marks/ is the basis for our actions.

Posted by Paul Foxworthy <pa...@cohsoft.com.au>.

Posted by Ron Wheeler <rw...@artifact-software.com>.
Lets clear up some facts
1) We are Apache. Apache is not some other group who is "supporting us".

2) The product's name is "Apache OFBiz" not OFBiz and it makes sense for
the logo to include the proper name.

3) "Powered by Apache" says that the end-user's ERP is based on an
Apache product (Apache OFBiz) not that the development team drinks an
Apache energy drink.

4) Apache Software Foundation owns Apache OFBiz and licenses the
software for use by others. The Apache OFBiz team participates in the
management of the ASF.

5) If you are contributing to the Apache OFBiz product, you have signed
a contract with the ASF that gives the ASF the rights to do what it
wants with the code and documentation that you contribute. There is no
legal arrangement with developers and the Apache OFBiz project itself.
This agreement makes you a contributor to ASF and covers all of the
projects that you work on.

6) As an ASF project team, we have committed to following ASF guidelines
to protect the trademarks and product names. The ASF is responsible for
providing and legal assistance in case there is an external group
misusing "Apache OFBiz" branding. We need to make sure that our branding
and logos are consistent and make it clear that ASF owns the name, the
trademarks and the graphics used in the trademark.

Ron

Posted by Paul Foxworthy <pa...@cohsoft.com.au>.
Pierre Smits wrote

Posted by Pierre Smits <pi...@gmail.com>.
Sharan,

Posted by Pierre Smits <pi...@gmail.com>.
Hi Julien,

That looks indeed better, but I still believe the the black rim (Powered by
...) is overpowering the product (OFBiz). In my opinion the focus should be
on the product and the tag line should strengthen it.

Posted by Julien NICOLAS <ju...@nomaka.fr>.
Oups... Attached file ^^

Posted by Julien NICOLAS <ju...@nomaka.fr>.
Hi Pierre,