Posted to wss4j-dev@ws.apache.org by Martin Kuba <ma...@ics.muni.cz> on 2006/06/23 10:26:15 UTC

WS-Security in WSDL

Hi all,

I am trying to figure out how a WS-Security-enabled webservice
is marked in its WSDL, but after I have read all documentation
on WSS4J which I have found and after googling for an hour,
I still cannot find and answer. I even tried to read the
WS-Security spec itself, but I did not find it there.

The only piece of information that I found is in gSOAP WSSE
example, where the WSDL has the following added:

xmlns:wsse="http://docs.oasis-open.org/wss/2004/01/oasis-200401-wss-wssecurity-secext-1.0.xsd"
<message name="Header">
  <part name="Security" element="wsse:Security"/>
</message>
<operation name="add">
   <SOAP:operation style="rpc" soapAction=""/>
   <input>
      <SOAP:body ... />
      <SOAP:header use="literal" message="tns:Header" part="Security"/>
   </input>

but that seems to be incorrect, as the wsse:Security element schema
is not even imported. Also such specification only says that
a SOAP header element is needed, but it does not say
whether encryption or signature or username is needed.

Can somebody point me to more information, please ?

Thanks

Martin
Supercomputing Center Brno             Martin Kuba
Institute of Computer Science    email: makub@ics.muni.cz
Masaryk University             http://www.ics.muni.cz/~makub/
Botanicka 68a, 60200 Brno, CZ     mobil: +420-603-533775

Re: WS-Security in WSDL

Posted by Anne Thomas Manes <at...@gmail.com>.
WS-PolicyAttachment defines three mechanisms to associate WS-Policy
assertions with a service endpoint or service artifact:
- WSDL
- UDDI
- WS-Addressing

As far as I'm aware, no one method supercedes the others. Given that most
WSDL-enabled tools don't know how to interpret the <wsp:xxx> WSDL
extensions, I would discourage using the WSDL attachment mechanism for the
immediate future.

Other means to obtain policy information about a service endpoint:
- use WS-MetadataExchange
- query the endpoint URL appended with "?policy"

Neither of these conventions are widely supported, though.

Anne

Re: WS-Security in WSDL

Posted by Anne Thomas Manes <at...@gmail.com>.

Re: WS-Security in WSDL

Posted by Fred Dushin <fd...@iona.com>.

Re: WS-Security in WSDL

Posted by Fred Dushin <fd...@iona.com>.

Re: WS-Security in WSDL

Posted by Anne Thomas Manes <at...@gmail.com>.

Re: WS-Security in WSDL

Posted by Anne Thomas Manes <at...@gmail.com>.

Re: WS-Security in WSDL

Posted by Guy Rixon <gt...@ast.cam.ac.uk>.
Hi,

AFAIK, there is no way to specify completely the WS-Security stuff in WSDL.
It's a semantic problem.  For the body parts, the semantics are simple "send
this stuff in the message with the stated encoding". For the WS-Security
header, the semantics vary according to the use of the header: "sign
digitally", "encode",  "encode and sign" etc.  Specifying the wsse:Security
header itself is too ambiguous. It doesn't tell a code-generator or a
client what to do.

However, suppose that you derived a schema that included those elements from
WS-Security that were relevant to the actual use; e.g. just the elements to

Re: WS-Security in WSDL

Posted by Guy Rixon <gt...@ast.cam.ac.uk>.
Hi,