Posted to users@jackrabbit.apache.org by SalmasCM <sa...@criticalmass.com> on 2009/04/19 22:28:20 UTC

clustering questions

We are deploying a JR implementation which will consist of a JR cluster of
two independent web apps. One is an admin app and the other a consumer web
site. During testing I have been running both on one box. Now that we are
getting closer to production I want to verify that the observation api will
still work if the apps are deployed independently. I am assuming that the
notifications are handled the same way as the journal updates (through the
common db). Please let me know if I am understanding correctly how
clustering works.

Regards

Re: clustering questions

Posted by Alexander Klimetschek <ak...@day.com>.
On Sun, Apr 19, 2009 at 10:28 PM, SalmasCM <sa...@criticalmass.com> wrote:

> We are deploying a JR implementation which will consist of a JR cluster of
> two independent web apps. One is an admin app and the other a consumer web
> site. During testing I have been running both on one box. Now that we are
> getting closer to production I want to verify that the observation api will
> still work if the apps are deployed independently. I am assuming that the
> notifications are handled the same way as the journal updates (through the
> common db). Please let me know if I am understanding correctly how
> clustering works.

Yes, the journal is required to propagate the repository changes to
the other cluster nodes (not only for observation, but also for
cache-invalidation). If you use a db journal which is accessible by
all nodes it should work fine.

BTW, do you see anything missing from the description at
http://wiki.apache.org/jackrabbit/Clustering ?

Regards,
Alex

--
Alexander Klimetschek
alexander.klimetschek@day.com

Re: clustering questions

Posted by Alexander Klimetschek <ak...@day.com>.
On Mon, Apr 20, 2009 at 9:28 PM, SalmasCM <sa...@criticalmass.com> wrote:

> Thanks for the verification. I do think that it would be nice to have some
> more details documented. These might include a section on the observation
> api and how it works with RMI and with clustering.
> Also, I found out the hard way that when working with multiple workspaces I
> should do a clone and then subsequent merges. it would be nice to have a
> document that shows some tips and tricks on how to use multiple workspaces.
> One issue we have is that we used the XML import feature to import large
> amounts of legacy data. Of course these were all imported as Strings. When
> we tried to set node type properties we found that there was no way to unset
> them or change them. Is it possible for us to
>
> 1. Save all our data in the db except these and persist these on the
> filesystem so that we could change them if needed?
> 2. We can always skip the xml load utility and import the data using the JR
> api using booleans and doubles and dates as required. Would this be
> advisable? I think setting node type properties would be a better thing to
> do. Some discussion or explanation of these issues would be great as well.

Changing the primary node type of a node will be possible with
JSR-283, but for now you can only assign it while creating a node. But
you have two other options to cope with changing properties: a) mixins
and b) residual properties aka "*" wildcard props. See the JCR spec
for more info [1] [2].

[1] http://jcp.org/en/jsr/detail?id=170
[2] http://www.day.com/specs/jcr/1.0/

Regards,

[...]