Posted to dev@zookeeper.apache.org by Christopher <ct...@apache.org> on 2020/10/16 13:25:34 UTC

Question about checkstyle execution

Hi ZK Devs,

I am working on ZOOKEEPER-3973 and I noticed the existing Travis CI
job executes `checkstyle:check` on the command line. I checked the
pom.xml files and there is an execution defined in the
`<pluginManagement/>` section of the main pom.xml and another one in
the zookeeper-contrib/pom.xml. However, neither of these are actually
activated, as there is no corresponding execution
section, only in the `<pluginManagement/>` section.

So, my question is: what is the intent here?

1. Should checkstyle always run during a build, unless skipped with
`-Dcheckstyle.skip` on the command-line?

OR

2. Should checkstyle always run *only* when explicitly run by placing
`checkstyle:check` on the command-line?

If the answer is 1., then the pom.xml files are missing a
section and should be added.
If the answer is 2., then the `<executions/>` block of the
maven-checkstyle-plugin entry in the `<pluginManagement/>` section is
doing nothing and should be removed.

Once I know the answer, I can include the change as part of
ZOOKEEPER-3973, so that way the GitHub Actions CI job I am creating
for that JIRA is configured to run checkstyle in whatever way the
project wants, without unnecessary configuration.

Thanks,
Christopher

Re: Question about checkstyle execution

Posted by Enrico Olivelli <eo...@gmail.com>.
Il giorno ven 16 ott 2020 alle ore 16:07 Christopher <ct...@apache.org>
ha scritto:

> Since rat runs fairly quickly, and because it enforces license header
> requirements that are mandated by ASF policy I find it very useful.
>
> However, I just ran into
> https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/ZOOKEEPER-3974, so rat check
> only works on a clean checkout... and only before the generate-sources
> phase, because of that issue.
>
> So, it probably makes sense to keep it disabled by default until that
> is fixed. I've also seen checkstyle be as heavy as spotbugs sometimes.
> So, I think I'm just going to leave it as-is (not executed by
> default), but I will remove the extraneous configuration that isn't
> being used.
>
> I will still run all three in the GitHub Actions CI configuration, of
> course.

Works for me
thanks for helping here

Please remember to run the C client tests on CI, by activating the
-Pfull-build profile

Enrico

Posted by Christopher <ct...@apache.org>.

Posted by Enrico Olivelli <eo...@gmail.com>.