Posted to general@jakarta.apache.org by di...@multitask.com.au on 2002/05/13 19:54:25 UTC

[EGO] Re: Project Activity

FWIW, there is no 'ranking' in the cvs activity report, unless you
consider alphabetical order ranking. But I'm not going to complain about
people who would otherwise do nothing doing some of the 'cosmetic' stuff
like documentation/javadoc etc.

And everyone seems to have ignored the file activity report - which helps
to find code that is unstable.
--
dIon Gillard, Multitask Consulting
Work:      http://www.multitask.com.au

<co...@covalent.net>
05/14/02 01:33 AM
Please respond to "Jakarta General List"

        To:     Jakarta General List <ge...@jakarta.apache.org>
        cc:
        Subject:        Re: Project Activity

On Mon, 13 May 2002, Peter Donald wrote:

> On Mon, 13 May 2002 20:17, Danny Angus wrote:
> > Sometimes lists are where the activity is, commits alone don't credit
the
> > essential design and planning effort put in by users commiters and
> > non-commiters that shapes the product and maps its progress.
>
> Agreed - even worse. Sometimes after these activity meters turn up you
get
> committers breaking up one commit into many commits, presumably to push
their
> activity level up. You also get the many typographic changes for much
the
> same reason.

Breaking one big commit into many commits is not bad.
It makes things easier to review, the commit comment can describe much
better what has been done in the file.

Putting a 'ranking' on commiter's activity is however very bad.
Some are working full time ( as part of their job ), some are using
the little free time they find ( or sleep less ). I think the
second category deserves a lot of apreciation, even if they may have
fewer commits.

Costin