Posted to dev@kafka.apache.org by Divij Vaidya <di...@gmail.com> on 2022/07/21 08:26:07 UTC

Hosting videos on project website

(cc: dev mailing list for Apache Kafka)

Hello folks

We, at Apache Kafka community, are wondering about the legal feasibility
of hosting educational content videos created by third party on our project
website.

1. What permissions/license do we need from the video owners to host the
videos ourselves on Apache servers?
2. Is there any legal aspects to consider if the videos contain branding
for a particular company?

For your reference,

   - example of website pages containing the videos:
   https://kafka.apache.org/intro https://kafka.apache.org/quickstart
   - community mailing list discussion about hosting third party content:
   https://lists.apache.org/thread/8drsbn0hgdhq4g1qgvm9g8pb5t4x42px

--
Divij Vaidya

Re: Hosting videos on project website

Posted by Hen <ba...@apache.org>.
Not sure if you've had a reply already.

If it's hosting video content, then my expectation is that it is a
contribution to the project under Apache-2.0 and it is branded as project
content.  With respect to third party branding, expectation is that any use
of third party branding is obeying the trademark guidelines of those third
parties and/or referring to them as nominative use (see our Trademark
guidelines for notes about nominative use).

Specifically for this situation, the continued thread on the community
mailing list has good advice (host on Apache's Youtube channel, and avoid
confusing reference to the speaker's employer).

Hen

Posted by Hen <ba...@apache.org>.