Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by Razi Khaja <ra...@gmail.com> on 2009/02/01 21:33:02 UTC

Re: [users@httpd] Re: Help - Name Server - Maybe

> I don't know how you are getting the .com name to resolve to 66.133.46.108
> as that is my modem, I can't get it do do that.  I tried disabling the DHCP
> on the computer that is acting as server, and did switch to static IP in the
> TCP/IP settings, but then I couldn't access the internet with any of my
> three computers.

www.michaelsrogers.com resolves to 66.133.46.108 for me as well.  The fact
that this is your modem is a good thing.  This means that when people
request a page from www.michaelsrogers.com the requests get up to your
modem.  Now all you have to figure out is how to get them from your modem,
through your router and into the computer running the apache web server.

Nicholas mentions port forwarding. An alternative is to set the DMZ on your
router to point to the IP address of your computer running apache (I beleive
you mentioned that this was 10.0.0.101).  Port forwarding is more secure,
but setting a DMZ is easier.

Doing port forwarding or setting a DMZ will solve the issue of external
access to www.michaelsrogers.com. It may or may not solve the issue of
internal access.

What is the manufacterer and model number of your router? It might be easier
to help you if we knew this.

> My ISP said that the problem was in my router, and that I had to do what
> they called IP mapping.

They are right its a configuration issue with your router.  I think they
mean port forwarding.

Re: [users@httpd] Re: Help - Name Server - Maybe

Posted by Michael Rogers <mi...@michaelsrogers.net>.
Matt!

None of the "http://" was ever in any Razi's email that I read.  It only showed up in Andre's email that he posted.
Posted by Matt McCutchen <ma...@mattmccutchen.net>.

--
Matt

Re: [users@httpd] Re: Help - Name Server - Maybe

Posted by Michael Rogers <mi...@michaelsrogers.net>.
Andre!

Razi didn't tell me to add the http:// and I didn't add it!  All I added was michaelsrogers.com and www.michaelsrogers.com.

I don't know where the .net came in at either, that was not in Razi email to me!

Posted by André Warnier <aw...@ice-sa.com>.
Razi,

Posted by Michael Rogers <mi...@michaelsrogers.net>.
Razi!

No luck!  So far!  But typing in 10.0.0.115 is the only thing that works.

Here is what my ISP told me:

"Michael,

Your Linksys is on private ip space and needs to be public.

You can do 1 of 2 things.

1. switch your Netopia to a bridge and hard code your Public IP info into your Linksys.
2. Do a static Map in your Netopia mapping you public IP to 192.1068.1.2 which is the IP of your Linksys.

I am pretty busy with meetings tomorrow but I will try to give you a call and explain.

I do want to add that Nemont does not support this and only supports service to your dmarc. I will personally on my own time try to help you out.

There is just too much information on servers / networks and we want to focus on providing good internet service.

Thank you

Derrick"

If I knew how to do a static Map in the Netopia modem I would have tried that second option.

    If you are having trouble accessing the site at
    http://www.michaelsrogers.com/ from your internal network, try changing
    the entry in the hosts file to say "10.0.0.115 www.michaelsrogers.com"
    with the www.  The hostnames with and without the www are completely
    independent as far as the hosts file is concerned.

  Adding 10.0.0.115 to your hosts file shouldnt hurt.

  But try adding this as well in your hosts file
  127.0.0.1       localhost michealrogers.com www.michealrogers.com

  127.0.0.1 is a special IP number ... this will allow you to see your webpage sitting at your computer running apache using your url www.michaelsrogers.com

  Try it, let me know if it works.

Posted by Razi Khaja <ra...@gmail.com>.
Hello Michael

Posted by Eric Covener <co...@gmail.com>.
On Tue, Feb 3, 2009 at 6:33 PM, Michael Rogers
<mi...@michaelsrogers.net> wrote:
> My browsers just do a search of the web for michalesrogers.com and I don't
> know how to shut that search feature off.

You might find command-line clients like wget or curl (or
telnet/netcat) make for much more reliable/repeatable results.

--
Eric Covener
covener@gmail.com

Re: [users@httpd] Re: Help - Name Server - Maybe

Posted by Matt McCutchen <ma...@mattmccutchen.net>.

Posted by Norman Peelman <np...@cfl.rr.com>.
Michael Rogers wrote:
> Mr. Peelman:
>
> Thanks for asking for the info.  I have attached it in a Word Doc
> because it seemed easier to do it that way then ot try to past it all
> in an email.
  After looking at your .doc file and pulling up your manual on the
internet, it appears that you router doesn't support this feature
without a third party firmware upgrade.

see: http://ask.metafilter.com/42917/Linksys-WRT54G-questions

  I don't know of anything else to tell you. You may be able to use QoS
but I have no experience with that. Read the link.

I guess you can do it through Windows (but I don't do Windows):

http://www.hotcomm.com/FAQ/FAQ_staticIPXP.asp

  Hope this helps... as an afterthought. In your hosts file try to make
sure that you use TABs instead of SPACES between the ip addresses and urls:

127.0.0.1 (TAB) url

make sure they are all TABs and I usually put 1 per line.

Norman Registered Linux user #461062 -Have you been to www.apache.org yet?-

Re: [users@httpd] Re: Help - Name Server - Maybe

Posted by Michael Rogers <mi...@michaelsrogers.net>.
Mr. Peelman:

Posted by Norman Peelman <np...@cfl.rr.com>.
Michael Rogers wrote:
> The "listen 80" is in the main config file.
>
> The only thing that works is 10.0.0.115.
>
> I was reading your comment about DHCP and LAN.  My router is set as
> DHCP server.  I can't get what the LAN settings should be.  Are
> familiar with the Linksys Router.  If you are, then would any settings
> in the advanced routing tab do anything for me here?  If it does then
> I'll attach a copy of the routing tables that are in the router for
> you to look at.

  If your router supports it (what router do you have?) there should be
a place where you can tell the router to assign a user selected ip to
the same machine every time. Every machine on your network has a
different (unique) MAC (Media Access Control) address. This address
doesn't change unless you manually change it. Show us your full 'hosts'
file and the LAN specific info from your router.

  In my Netgear router it's called 'Address Reservation' under
Advanced->LAN IP Setup. It is a list of ip addresses that gets assigned
to the various machines on my network, looks like:

 IP address    Device Name                MAC Address
192.168.1.5   LINUX-SERVER          ??:??:??:??:??:??
192.168.1.4   gfriend-desktop        ??:??:??:??:??:??
192.168.1.2   dell2350-desktop      ??:??:??:??:??:??
192.168.1.3   amd64x2                    0A:1B:2C:3D:4E:5F (example -
numbers/letters made up)

...of course you would see numbers/letters instead of ??.  My server is
192.168.1.3 and that address gets assigned to the computer that reports
itself as MAC 0A:1B:2C:3D:4E:5F. This info is setup right along with
'Use router as DHCP server?' but that is for my netgear.  Now if you
have this and then tell your router to port forward all HTTP traffic to
192.168.1.3 port 80 (substitute your info) you should have a setup that
survives reboots.

If you're using port-forwarding you should turn off DHCP in
the router and use static IPs for each workstation.  At least,
that's what my (old) LinkSys manual says.

--Jon

Re: [users@httpd] Re: Help - Name Server - Maybe

Posted by Michael Rogers <mi...@michaelsrogers.net>.

Posted by Norman Peelman <np...@cfl.rr.com>.

Posted by Michael Rogers <mi...@michaelsrogers.net>.

  *Are you hosting www.michaelsrogers.net on your apache server or on

Posted by Norman Peelman <np...@cfl.rr.com>.

Posted by Norman Peelman <np...@cfl.rr.com>.

Posted by Michael Rogers <mi...@michaelsrogers.net>.
André  Warnier! you said "Well actually, I was asking the question because I already gave you the answer in a previous post. So make an effort and read it this time :"

  translation for "www.google.com" into an IP address like 1.2.3.4
  - if the browser cannot find finally an IP address for www.google.com

  And, for the IP address of "www.michaelrogers.com", you want your
  www.michaelrogers.com" ?

Posted by André Warnier <aw...@ice-sa.com>.

Posted by Michael Rogers <mi...@michaelsrogers.net>.
That why I am asking the questions!  If I know I might be able to make it work.
Posted by André Warnier <aw...@ice-sa.com>.
[...]

Posted by André Warnier <aw...@ice-sa.com>.

Posted by Michael Rogers <mi...@michaelsrogers.net>.
Eric:

My email utility sent you to the junk mail folder and I didn't see you until now.  Next I am suffering this morning from severe pain and the morphine is not helping so I may not respond back right away.  My pain may be for a couple of hours or in might be for days.

I do know that my computer works with IP address and not names.  I know that I am having a router problem.  some that are helping here can get to my modem but that is as far as they get.  That's the problem that I need to resolve.

Right now the machine that has the Apache on it has an IP address of 10.0.0.115.  I found the host file.  Am I to understand that I should put 10.0.0.115  www.michaelsrogers.com in the file right under the 127.0.0.1  localhost
  > FWIW It's quite common to not be able to access your webserver with
  > it's external IP address from within your LAN.

  Allright, I'll try to help.  This has not much to do with Apache, and
  more with basic TCP/IP.  So let's start at the beginning.

  First your internal LAN.

  I) computers work with IP addresses, not with names.  That may surprise
  you, but it is so.
  When you tell your browser to get "www.google.com" :
  - it first looks in its own local "hosts" file to see if there is a
  translation for "www.google.com" into an IP address like 1.2.3.4
  The local hosts file can be found :
  under Unix/Linux, in /etc/hosts
  under Windows, in windows\system32\drivers\etc\hosts
  - if the local hosts file does not provide a translation, then your
  browser asks "the DNS system".  That is something complicated, but
  basically it means that it will need the IP address of another computer
  known as a DNS Server, and it will send a message to that IP address,
  asking for the IP address of "www.google.com"
  - if the browser cannot find finally an IP address for www.google.com
  with any of the above, it gives up and tells you so.

  II) where your local computers get their own IP address :
  there are 2 ways :
  - either they are set up with a fixed IP address
  - or they are set up to ask a DHCP server to give them one. For this
  second possibility, the computer (usually when it starts), sends a
  special "broadcast" message on the local network, asking if a nice DHCP
  server would please give them a new IP address.  If any DHCP server is
  listening on the local network, it will consult its internal tables to
  see which address it could give (it has a range of addresses), among the
  ones which are still free (if it has already given an address away, it
  will not give it away a second time).
  That is why, when you turn off your DHCP server, your stations are not
  working anymore : because they are set up to request an IP address from
  a DHCP server, and there is none active, so they don't get one.  And if
  they do not have an IP address themselves, they cannot use TCP/IP and
  thus their Internet access doesn't work anymore.

  III) A workstation can use a variable IP address given by a DHCP server,
  but a server should have a fixed IP address.

  That is because for a workstation it does not matter : nobody will try
  to find it, it just needs to find the others.
  But for a server, it's different : other stations need to find it, so it
  better have an address that does not change all the time.
  (For the same reason that you can make a phone call to someone else from
  any phone, but if someone needs to reach you, they need your number).

  A part of your problem, is that you are trying to turn a workstation
  into a server (an Apache server).  So you have to stop it from getting a
  variable IP address, and give it a fixed one.
  But, you have to pick an IP address which on the other hand, your DHCP
  server will not give away to someone else.
  (Because two stations having the same IP address confuses everyone and
  does not work).
  So you need to look in your DHCP server which range of addresses it is
  giving away, and pick one outside that range (just add 1 to the last
  number in the DHCP range).(at the end, not at the beginning).
  (If your DHCP server is also your router, it may have a web interface to
  make it easy.  If it is not the router but some server, then this may be
  more complicated).
  Now when you have done that, try from another station to access your
  Apache server at the fixed IP address that you gave it.

  For example :
  - suppose your DHCP server is programmed to give away addresses in the
  range 192.168.1.100 - 192.168.1.150 (51 addresses)
  - suppose then that you gave your Apache workstation the fixed address
  192.168.1.200 (to be well outside of the above range).
  - then try "http://192.168.1.200" (from another internal station)

  If you get a response from Apache, then we are already well on the way.

  Next, we want all the internal stations to be able to access this Apache
  server, not by IP address, but with a name.  That is easier for humans.
  Read Chapter I above, again, to remember how they do that.

  Unfortunately, there probably isn't a DNS server on your local network,
  that could be used by the internal stations.
  Thus you will have to use the "hosts file" method.
  On one of the workstations, locate the hosts file, and add the following
  line in it :
  192.168.1.151 some.nice.name
  then close all browser windows on that workstation, re-start the
  browser, and type "http://some.nice.name".
  If everything worked according to plan, you should get the same Apache
  page as before.
  Now do the same on all the other workstations, et voila you have an
  internal webserver. (You might want to find a nicer name than
  "some.nice.name", like "www.apache.local" e.g.).

  In the next installment, we'll look at the external access to your
  webserver.

Posted by André Warnier <aw...@ice-sa.com>.
[...]

Posted by Nicholas Sherlock <n....@gmail.com>.
Michael Rogers wrote:
> Eric!
>
> You get to my modem.  take a look at the attachment.  What if in the
> Destination LAN I type in 10.0.0.115 (the IP of my server)  the sub mask
> and gateway.  In the httpd.config file I change whatever I have there to
> michaelsrogers.com.  would that work?

No, that's the wrong tab. You want the settings in "Applications and
Gaming". The first page there is "Single port forwarding".

Cheers,
Nicholas Sherlock

Re: [users@httpd] Re: Help - Name Server - Maybe

Posted by Michael Rogers <mi...@michaelsrogers.net>.
Eric!

Posted by Eric Covener <co...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Michael Rogers <mi...@michaelsrogers.net>.
Windows XP home SP3
Posted by André Warnier <aw...@ice-sa.com>.

Posted by Michael Rogers <mi...@michaelsrogers.net>.
Eric!

Posted by Eric Covener <co...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Nicholas Sherlock <n....@gmail.com>.
Michael Rogers wrote:
> Razi!
>
> Okay!  now I have my port (80) forwarded to my computer 10.0.0.115.  on
> my end I don't see my pages after I type in  the .com domain name.
> Maybe you would try it and see if the pages come up.
> http://www.michaelsrogers.com

I just got "connection refused" as of now - what's the exact
configuration that you have for your port forwarding? To have the domain
name resolve to your local IP address on your network, you'll need to
add it as an entry in your HOST file.

Cheers,
Nicholas Sherlock

Re: [users@httpd] Re: Help - Name Server - Maybe

Posted by Michael Rogers <mi...@michaelsrogers.net>.
Razi!

Okay!  now I have my port (80) forwarded to my computer 10.0.0.115.  on my end I don't see my pages after I type in  the .com domain name.  Maybe you would try it and see if the pages come up.   http://www.michaelsrogers.com

    A question for the port forwarding in Applications & Games.  It asks for "application"  I put Apache2.2 in the box, was that right or what does go there?

  You can put anything you want in the "application" box, I think its just there to be a helpful reminder of what your port forwarding.

Posted by Razi Khaja <ra...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Michael Rogers <mi...@michaelsrogers.net>.
Razi!

Posted by Razi Khaja <ra...@gmail.com>.