Posted to server-dev@james.apache.org by Micael <ca...@harbornet.com> on 2003/01/07 19:30:03 UTC

name@[153.254.196.29]

I have James running and have a person with "name" set as a user.  The user
is duly noted in an appropriate repository.  I am sending an email to the
ip address with name@[153.254.194.29] set as the format.  Nothing is coming
back, and yet nothing is showing up in the mail inboxes either.  What's
up?  Thanks.

Micael

LEGAL NOTICE

have received this transmission in error, please delete the message.  Thank you

RE: name@[153.254.196.29]

Posted by "Noel J. Bergman" <no...@devtech.com>.
Micael,

If this is for your intranet, then you should use the standard Private
Network ranges, as per RFC 1918 (http://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc1918.txt),
section 3:

     10.0.0.0        -   10.255.255.255  (10/8 prefix)
     172.16.0.0      -   172.31.255.255  (172.16/12 prefix)
     192.168.0.0     -   192.168.255.255 (192.168/16 prefix)

If this is for public exposure, then you need to use your real IP address.

	--- Noel

Posted by Micael <ca...@harbornet.com>.
That is a good question, Noel.  In fact, I was using a number which turns
out to be some sort of microsoft default for this and that.  I am checking
to see what is going on.  That may be the problem.  I have been using the
standard startup for run server.

At 01:54 PM 1/7/03 -0500, you wrote:
>Do you have auto IP detection enabled for v2.1?  Versions prior to v2.1 did
>not automatically handle RFC 2821, Sec 4.1.3, address literals.
>
>If you are using v2.1, it should work fine with the default
>autodetectIP="true".  Check the logs, error, and spam mail boxes to see if
>the message is being mis-directed.
>
>Are you really using 153.254.194.29?  It does not appear to be routable.
>
>         --- Noel

LEGAL NOTICE

you

RE: name@[153.254.196.29]