Posted to dev@httpd.apache.org by Jim Jagielski <ji...@jaguNET.com> on 2010/04/23 14:58:24 UTC

httpd trunk, apr/apu 1.4 branches and Linux

(sorry for the cross-post but httpd-trunk and APR are now so
entwined that its required)...

OK... I've been playing around with building httpd-trunk
on Linux and I've been having troubles left and right (using
the 1.4 branches of both apr and apr-util installed right
in ./srclib)...

First of all, Ubuntu 8.10 can't even get past a top level
./buildconf (likely due to libtool issues (2.2.4)... But
Ubuntu 9.10 dies when getting to build apr-util due to
expat issues (can't find the system installed version and
the bundled version's config/make is toast)...

checking Expat 1.95.x... no
checking old Debian-packaged expat... no
checking old FreeBSD-packaged expat... no
checking Expat 1.0/1.1... no
  setting LDFLAGS to "-L/usr/local/lib"
  adding "-I/usr/local/include" to CPPFLAGS
checking Expat 1.95.x in /usr/local... no
  nulling LDFLAGS
  removed "-I/usr/local/include" from CPPFLAGS
configuring package in xml/expat now
/home/jim/src/asf/code/dev/httpd-trunk/srclib/apr-util/xml/expat/configure: line 3321: syntax error near unexpected token `lt_decl_varnames,'
/home/jim/src/asf/code/dev/httpd-trunk/srclib/apr-util/xml/expat/configure: line 3321: `lt_if_append_uniq(lt_decl_varnames, SED, , ,'
configure failed for xml/expat

For those who are working on httpd trunk and Linux, what
are you using?

Re: [Survey] Maintained builds - was Re: httpd trunk, apr/apu 1.4 branches and Linux

Posted by Sander Temme <sc...@apache.org>.
On Apr 25, 2010, at 9:07 AM, William A. Rowe Jr. wrote:

> Maintainers, which of the below do you *frequently* use during development
> against trunk (as opposed to occasional/infrequent testing)?
>
> [ ]  ./configure and build entirely in-tree (httpd/srclib/* etc)
> [ ]  ../httpd/configure into a single seperate vpath tree
> [√]  configure for separately built or OS-provisioned expat
> [√]  configure for separately built or OS-provisioned pcre
> [√]  configure for separately built or OS-provisioned apr[-util]
>
> Please check off all-of-the-above that apply, thanks!

My typical build on my laptop goes as follows:

1) svn up apr and apr-util 1.4.x and httpd
2) Put my own autotools build in front of my PATH (specifically for libtool 1.5.26)
3) Buildconf and build apr and apr-util in a directory keyed to their revision (like /tmp/r937654)
4) Buildconf httpd trunk and try to configure it
5) svn up pcre, buildconf, build and install it in the same prefix
6) Configure httpd with the following script:

#! /bin/sh -x
#
# Created by configure

prefix=$1

if [ "x$prefix" = "x" ]; then
    echo "Usage: $0 install-prefix"
    exit 1
fi

CFLAGS="-DDEBUG -O0 -DDYNAMIC_MODULE_LIMIT=128"; export CFLAGS
"./configure" \
"--prefix=$prefix" \
"--with-apr=$prefix" \
"--with-apr-util=$prefix" \
"--with-pcre=$prefix" \
"--with-ssl=$prefix" \
"--with-port=8080" \
"--enable-maintainer-mode" \
"--enable-so" \
"--with-layout=Apache" \
"--enable-modules=all" \
"--enable-mods-shared=all" \
"--enable-isapi=shared" \
"--enable-bucketeer=shared" \
"--enable-echo=shared" \
"--enable-example-hooks=shared" \
"--enable-case-filter=shared" \
"--enable-case-filter-in=shared" \
"--enable-example-ipc=shared" \
"--enable-charset-lite=shared" \
"--enable-proxy=shared" \
"--enable-proxy-connect=shared" \
"--enable-proxy-ftp=shared" \
"--enable-proxy-http=shared" \
"--enable-proxy-fcgi=shared" \
"--enable-proxy-ajp=shared" \
"--enable-proxy-balancer=shared" \
"--enable-ssl=shared" \
"--enable-optional-hook-export=shared" \
"--enable-optional-hook-import=shared" \
"--enable-optional-fn-import=shared" \
"--enable-optional-fn-export=shared" \
"--enable-dialup=shared" \
"--enable-suexec=shared" \
"--enable-dav-lock=shared"

Note that this can also pull in an included OpenSSL, but quietly falls back on the system copy if none have been installed under $prefix.

I guess I could do this vpath, and I should be able to independently vary the httpd --prefix so I can build multiple httpds when experimenting.  But this works.  The module complement is what the perl-framework needs.

S.

--
Sander Temme
sctemme@apache.org

Re: [Survey] Maintained builds - was Re: httpd trunk, apr/apu 1.4 branches and Linux

Posted by "William A. Rowe Jr." <wr...@rowe-clan.net>.

Posted by Stefan Fritsch <sf...@sfritsch.de>.
On Sunday 25 April 2010, William A. Rowe Jr. wrote:
>  [X]  ./configure and build entirely in-tree (httpd/srclib/* etc)
>  [ ]  ../httpd/configure into a single seperate vpath tree
>  [X]  configure for separately built or OS-provisioned expat
>  [X]  configure for separately built or OS-provisioned pcre
>  [ ]  configure for separately built or OS-provisioned apr[-util]

Cheers,
Stefan

Re: [Survey] Maintained builds - was Re: httpd trunk, apr/apu 1.4 branches and Linux

Posted by Ruediger Pluem <rp...@apache.org>.
> On 4/23/2010 8:03 AM, William A. Rowe Jr. wrote:
>> On 4/23/2010 7:58 AM, Jim Jagielski wrote:
>>> For those who are working on httpd trunk and Linux, what
>>> are you using?
>
> You raise interesting questions about what the httpd folks actually test on
> a day to day basis, given the dozen combinations of build approaches.
>
> Maintainers, which of the below do you *frequently* use during development
> against trunk (as opposed to occasional/infrequent testing)?
>
>  [X]  ./configure and build entirely in-tree (httpd/srclib/* etc)
>  [ ]  ../httpd/configure into a single seperate vpath tree
>  [X]  configure for separately built or OS-provisioned expat
>  [X]  configure for separately built or OS-provisioned pcre
>  [ ]  configure for separately built or OS-provisioned apr[-util]
>
> Please check off all-of-the-above that apply, thanks!

Regards

Rüdiger

Re: [Survey] Maintained builds - was Re: httpd trunk, apr/apu 1.4 branches and Linux

Posted by Dan Poirier <po...@pobox.com>.

Posted by Jeff Trawick <tr...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Rainer Jung <ra...@kippdata.de>.
> On 4/23/2010 8:03 AM, William A. Rowe Jr. wrote:
>> On 4/23/2010 7:58 AM, Jim Jagielski wrote:
>>>
>>> For those who are working on httpd trunk and Linux, what
>>> are you using?
>
> You raise interesting questions about what the httpd folks actually test on
> a day to day basis, given the dozen combinations of build approaches.
>
> Maintainers, which of the below do you *frequently* use during development
> against trunk (as opposed to occasional/infrequent testing)?
>
>   [X]  ./configure and build entirely in-tree (httpd/srclib/* etc)
>   [ ]  ../httpd/configure into a single seperate vpath tree
>   [ ]  configure for separately built or OS-provisioned expat
>   [X]  configure for separately built or OS-provisioned pcre
>   [ ]  configure for separately built or OS-provisioned apr[-util]
>
> Please check off all-of-the-above that apply, thanks!

Regards,

Rainer

Re: [Survey] Maintained builds - was Re: httpd trunk, apr/apu 1.4 branches and Linux

Posted by Jim Jagielski <ji...@jaguNET.com>.
On Apr 26, 2010, at 12:10 PM, William A. Rowe Jr. wrote:

> On 4/26/2010 10:27 AM, Jim Jagielski wrote:

>>> You raise interesting questions about what the httpd folks actually test on
>>> a day to day basis, given the dozen combinations of build approaches.
>>>
>>> Maintainers, which of the below do you *frequently* use during development
>>> against trunk (as opposed to occasional/infrequent testing)?
>>>
>>> [X]  ./configure and build entirely in-tree (httpd/srclib/* etc)
>>> [ ]  ../httpd/configure into a single seperate vpath tree
>>> [X]  configure for separately built or OS-provisioned expat
>>> [X]  configure for separately built or OS-provisioned pcre
>>> [ ]  configure for separately built or OS-provisioned apr[-util]
>>
>> The latter seems impossible for OS-provisioned apr, does it not?
>
> You mean, that apr 1.4 (not apr-util 1.4) is a prerequisite?  Its true that few
> vendors are likely to be shipping apr 1.4.2 yet.

Yes.

Re: [Survey] Maintained builds - was Re: httpd trunk, apr/apu 1.4 branches and Linux

Posted by "William A. Rowe Jr." <wr...@rowe-clan.net>.

Posted by Jim Jagielski <ji...@apache.org>.

Posted by Chris Darroch <ch...@pearsoncmg.com>.
William A. Rowe Jr. wrote:

> Maintainers, which of the below do you *frequently* use during development
> against trunk (as opposed to occasional/infrequent testing)?
>
>  [X]  ./configure and build entirely in-tree (httpd/srclib/* etc)
>  [ ]  ../httpd/configure into a single seperate vpath tree
>  [ ]  configure for separately built or OS-provisioned expat
>  [ ]  configure for separately built or OS-provisioned pcre
>  [X]  configure for separately built or OS-provisioned apr[-util]
>
> Please check off all-of-the-above that apply, thanks!

Chris.

--
GPG Key ID: 366A375B

[Survey] Maintained builds - was Re: httpd trunk, apr/apu 1.4 branches and Linux

Posted by "William A. Rowe Jr." <wr...@rowe-clan.net>.

Posted by "William A. Rowe Jr." <wr...@rowe-clan.net>.
On 4/23/2010 7:58 AM, Jim Jagielski wrote:

> For those who are working on httpd trunk and Linux, what
> are you using?

Expat 2.0.1 or os vendor expat

Re: httpd trunk, apr/apu 1.4 branches and Linux

Posted by Dan Poirier <po...@pobox.com>.
I have a note that on Ubuntu I had to install libexpat1-dev,
libldap2-dev, libpcre3-dev.

Re: httpd trunk, apr/apu 1.4 branches and Linux

Posted by Jim Jagielski <ji...@jaguNET.com>.
On Apr 23, 2010, at 9:58 AM, Jeff Trawick wrote:

> On Fri, Apr 23, 2010 at 9:40 AM, Jim Jagielski <ji...@jagunet.com> wrote:
>>
>> On Apr 23, 2010, at 9:31 AM, Jeff Trawick wrote:
>>

>>> ./buildconf
>>> found apr source: srclib/apr
>>> found apr-util source: srclib/apr-util
>>> rebuilding srclib/apr/configure
>>> buildconf: checking installation...
>>> buildconf: python version 2.6.4 (ok)
>>> buildconf: autoconf version 2.64 (ok)
>>> buildconf: libtool version 1.5.26 (ok)
>>
>> Weird... my default libtool is 2.2.6 under 9.10...
>
> Ahh, I have my own autoconf and libtool in /usr/local/bin.

Gotcha... 2.2.6b seems to work, but needs to be built
by hand.

Re: httpd trunk, apr/apu 1.4 branches and Linux

Posted by Jim Jagielski <ji...@jaguNET.com>.

Posted by Jeff Trawick <tr...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Jeff Trawick <tr...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Jim Jagielski <ji...@jaguNET.com>.

Posted by Jim Jagielski <ji...@jaguNET.com>.

Posted by Jeff Trawick <tr...@gmail.com>.
On Fri, Apr 23, 2010 at 8:58 AM, Jim Jagielski <ji...@jagunet.com> wrote:
> (sorry for the cross-post but httpd-trunk and APR are now so
> entwined that its required)...
>
> OK... I've been playing around with building httpd-trunk
> on Linux and I've been having troubles left and right (using
> the 1.4 branches of both apr and apr-util installed right
> in ./srclib)...
>
> First of all, Ubuntu 8.10 can't even get past a top level
> ./buildconf (likely due to libtool issues (2.2.4)... But
> Ubuntu 9.10 dies when getting to build apr-util due to
> expat issues (can't find the system installed version and
> the bundled version's config/make is toast)...

Hmmm...

my Ubuntu 9.10 x86

./buildconf
found apr source: srclib/apr
found apr-util source: srclib/apr-util
rebuilding srclib/apr/configure
buildconf: checking installation...
buildconf: python version 2.6.4 (ok)
buildconf: autoconf version 2.64 (ok)
buildconf: libtool version 1.5.26 (ok)
/home/trawick/svn/httpd-trunk-full/configure --enable-maintainer-mode
--prefix=/home/trawick/inst/23 --with-included-apr --with-ldap=ldap
--enable-maintainer-mode --enable-nonportable-atomics
--enable-VARIOUS-MODULES
configure: WARNING: unrecognized options: --with-ldap,

Posted by "William A. Rowe Jr." <wr...@rowe-clan.net>.
On 4/23/2010 7:58 AM, Jim Jagielski wrote:

> For those who are working on httpd trunk and Linux, what
> are you using?

Expat 2.0.1 or os vendor expat

Re: httpd trunk, apr/apu 1.4 branches and Linux

Posted by Jeff Trawick <tr...@gmail.com>.