Posted to derby-user@db.apache.org by Geir Magnusson Jr <ge...@pobox.com> on 2006/09/12 12:37:52 UTC

10.2 licensing issue...

I read Rick's note on the 10.2 licensing issue in an archive because of
strange move to the user list, so sorry for the weird quoting :

He said :

"I must report today that the restrictions imposed by the beta JDK
license have not been lifted.

As you know, the JDK 6 beta license requires a disclaimer that bars the
use of the code for any productive use....

snip

...For this reason, we, the Derby community must change our
plan to ship imminently an official release of Derby that includes JDBC4."

Let me start with a question :

Why?  Is this all about having a set of API jars to compile against, or
is it something more?

geir

Re: 10.2 licensing issue...

Posted by Geir Magnusson Jr <ge...@pobox.com>.

Craig L Russell wrote:

> On Sep 12, 2006, at 9:49 AM, Geir Magnusson Jr wrote:
>

>> Craig L Russell wrote:
>>> Hi Geir,

>>> This issue affects users of Derby just as much as developers. Users
>>> counting on a production release of Derby to be used with a production
>>> version of JDK6 with JDBC4 are directly affected by this change.
>>
>> Isn't that the case with every aspect of development?
>
> Nah.
>
> Users care about their bugs and the features that they use, and the
> schedule for the next production release. The topic of discussion is
> about the schedule for the next production release.
>
> It was a judgement call, and I think it was the right one. Should we
> have a vote? ;-)

The problem I was pointing out that it was an important topic of concern
to people that have been following on dev.  You should give a bit of a
notice before kicking things off like that, IMO.

geir

Re: 10.2 licensing issue...

Posted by Craig L Russell <Cr...@Sun.COM>.

Re: 10.2 licensing issue...

Posted by Geir Magnusson Jr <ge...@pobox.com>.

Re: 10.2 licensing issue...

Posted by Craig L Russell <Cr...@Sun.COM>.
Hi Geir,

Re: 10.2 licensing issue...

Posted by Geir Magnusson Jr <ge...@pobox.com>.

Craig L Russell wrote:
> Hi Geir,
>
> I hate to be the broken record, but there are real user compatibility
> issues in releasing a production version of software that depends on
> pre-release versions of software.
>
> Real users can get hurt.

Sure, and this is FUD at this point, because I don't really believe that
this is going to be a problem.  Do you really think so?  If you really
were concerned, you wouldn't be releasing against *untested* software
like the Sun JDK 6 until there has been production testing by real users
of that codebase too. (Clearly, I can FUD with the best of them.)

Also, you can simply test it against JDK 6.

If we were past the Project Formerly Known as Mustang release, there's
no requirement that a user's application compiles against the binaries
from Mustang, because as I noted, the user spec license doesn't
proscribe or prohibit in what matter the user application is created.

So lets try to find a working solution that restores Derby's release and
feature schedule management back to the community.  Don't you agree?

geir

Re: 10.2 licensing issue...

Posted by Craig L Russell <Cr...@Sun.COM>.
Hi Geir,

Re: 10.2 licensing issue...

Posted by Geir Magnusson Jr <ge...@pobox.com>.

Re: 10.2 licensing issue...

Posted by Geir Magnusson Jr <ge...@pobox.com>.

Re: 10.2 licensing issue...

Posted by Craig L Russell <Cr...@Sun.COM>.
Hi Geir,

On Sep 12, 2006, at 9:17 AM, Geir Magnusson Jr wrote:
>> A) I couldn't figure out how to build the dummy jars without cribbing
>> templates from either the beta code or beta javadoc. To me this
>> cribbing
>> seemed like a forbidden, productive use of the beta-licensed
>> distribution.
>>

> What's the license on the spec?

The spec license has the same restriction on implementations of JSR
220. If Derby were to build our own "dummy jars" then we would be an
implementation of 220 not just a user of the classes defined in the
spec.

>> B) It seemed, frankly, a little sneaky and a violation of the
>> spirit of
>> the license.
>
> As I grok it, the spirit of the license is all about ensuring
> compatibility.  Is there anything that you feel about what we're
> proposing in any way violates compatibility or puts it at risk for
> users?

This is precisely the issue. A user of Derby 10.2 compiled with pre-
release JDBC4 jars might get unexpected results if the final release
jars differ from the pre-release jars. For example, constants from

Re: 10.2 licensing issue...

Posted by Geir Magnusson Jr <ge...@pobox.com>.

Rick Hillegas wrote:
> Geir Magnusson Jr wrote:
>
>> Rick Hillegas wrote:

>>> Hi Geir,
>>>
>>> In a nutshell, yes. We can use the compiler from JDK 5 without any
>>> licensing restrictions--for our purposes it's just as good as the JDK 6
>>> compiler. However, a restrictive beta license covers the apis in the JDK
>>> 6 jars.
>>>

>> This reminds me of the old gag :
>>
>> "Doctor, my arm hurts when I lift it"
>> "Don't lift it then..."
>>
>> Don't use the JDK 6 jars.  All you need to do is *compile*, so lets make
>> our own JARs that get things to compile.
>>

> Hi Geir,
>
> I did consider this option. The following problems bothered me:
>
> A) I couldn't figure out how to build the dummy jars without cribbing
> templates from either the beta code or beta javadoc. To me this cribbing
> seemed like a forbidden, productive use of the beta-licensed distribution.

What's the license on the spec?  IIRC, there are no prohibitions for
this.  We wouldn't be distributing those jars.  AS a matter of fact,
maybe the JDBC4 EG could make them available :)

Re: 10.2 licensing issue...

Posted by Rick Hillegas <Ri...@Sun.COM>.

Re: 10.2 licensing issue...

Posted by Geir Magnusson Jr <ge...@pobox.com>.

Re: 10.2 licensing issue...

Posted by Rick Hillegas <Ri...@Sun.COM>.

Re: 10.2 licensing issue...

Posted by Geir Magnusson Jr <ge...@pobox.com>.

Michael Segel wrote:

> [...]

So... what *exactly* do you need from JDK 6 if it isn't a JDBC4 jar to
compile against?

RE: 10.2 licensing issue...

Posted by Michael Segel <ms...@segel.com>.

Don't take my word for it, just ask Murphy... ;-) (He's the guy sitting at
the end of the bar ...)

I don't think that there is a problem of running beta releases off of JDK6
so the issue is how to handle this. It's a no brainer.