Posted to users@tapestry.apache.org by vi...@comcast.net on 2004/06/09 18:55:53 UTC

Field level authorization

Hi,

How can I implement field level authorization in Tapestry ? I need to be able to
display fields based on user roles.

I have done that in JSP's using custom tags with JAAS and EJB methods permission
on the backend with specified roles and using JBoss's DataBaseLoginModule.

I have gone through the archives and would appreciate if anyone could send me a working example.I have read 2 examples in the archives-1 of overriding IEngine to get a  custom Monitor and overriding the serviceBegin method of the Custom monitor  and the other one was using properties within page for permissions and using a base page classs for all components ??

I appreciate any input.

Thanks in advance,
Vijay

Re: Field level authorization

Posted by Erik Hatcher <er...@ehatchersolutions.com>.
On Jun 9, 2004, at 12:55 PM, vijay172@comcast.net wrote:
> How can I implement field level authorization in Tapestry ? I need to
> be able to
> display fields based on user roles.
>
> I have done that in JSP's using custom tags with JAAS and EJB methods
> permission
> on the backend with specified roles and using JBoss's
> DataBaseLoginModule.

It would be similar in Tapestry.  You could (as we have) implement an
IsUserInRole component which is basically a conditional which renders
or does not render its body based on the same J2EE role check you would
use in JSP custom tags (request.isUserInRole()).

Or maybe use the disabled flag that exists on all the field components.
  If you did this, the fields would still render, but the values would
not update (this is a server-side thing, not client-side).

Or you could create your own versions of the field components
(aggregating the built-in ones) that does the appropriate thing inside.

	Erik