Posted to dev@avalon.apache.org by Gerhard Froehlich <g-...@gmx.de> on 2001/12/02 14:03:05 UTC

Excalibur ActiveMonitor

Hi,
I think we need to implement the ActiveMonitor
in the Cocoon Project, to increase the performance
of Cocoon.
(I place the mail here in the Cocoon list,
because it's a Cocoon related topic. But if it's the
wrong place, I have no problem to move this thread
into Avalon dev list.)

Berin suggested in the mail:
  http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=xml-cocoon-dev&m=99857216131771&w=2
that instead of calling ${file}.lastModified() we asking the
Excalibur ActiveMonitor if the resource has changed or not.
<Berin>
"Each resource in the collection of resources is tested on a
frequency you specify (i.e. 1/minute, 1/half-hour, etc).
That way during extreme load conditions the number of times we
call the "lastModified" method doesn't change. Instead of 1/request
(with 200 simultaneous users requesting 4 pages a second
that comes to 800 calls a second) it is once per period of time."
</Berin>

I can't implement this ActiveMonitor from scratch, because
I have less knowledge of Cocoon internals (was alway in the
backend ;). So:
Where is the right place to implement this ActiveMonitor and
how would you proceed?

Cheers
Gerhard

RE: Excalibur ActiveMonitor

Posted by Gerhard Froehlich <g-...@gmx.de>.
Sorry guys. Nabbed the wrong email address.
But maybe interesting anyway ;)!