Posted to user@struts.apache.org by Oleg Mikheev <mi...@bigfoot.com> on 2008/07/15 09:15:05 UTC

Struts 2.1 tags + JSTL EL?

Hi

Are there any plans to re-enable JSTL EL in custom tags which
was disabled starting from Struts 2.0.10?
And, where can I find the changes between Struts 2 and 2.1?
Any 2.1 documentation available yet?

Thanks,
Oleg

Re: Struts 2.1 tags + JSTL EL?

Posted by Chris Pratt <th...@gmail.com>.
The Struts 2 Tag Libraries are completely written around OGNL and
FreeMarker, which makes it hard to remove either of those technologies
from the stack.

I have written some tags, not based on the Struts 2 component support,
that safely allow both JSTL and OGNL EL's and don't rely on
FreeMarker.  They seem to work quite well and I've grown quite fond of
them (obviously).
  (*Chris*)

Re: Struts 2.1 tags + JSTL EL?

Posted by Oleg Mikheev <mi...@bigfoot.com>.

Re: Struts 2.1 tags + JSTL EL?

Posted by Chris Pratt <th...@gmail.com>.
I proposed a method of enabling JSTL EL safely a while ago, but I
haven't heard anything (or had any time to actually do anything about
it myself).

As far as the documentation, there is only one set of documentation in
the Wiki and it always covers the latest version, so all the
documentation available right now is for 2.1.
  (*Chris*)

Re: Struts 2.1 tags + JSTL EL?

Posted by Jeromy Evans <je...@blueskyminds.com.au>.
Oleg Mikheev wrote:
> Hi
>

> And, where can I find the changes between Struts 2 and 2.1?

http://cwiki.apache.org/S2WIKI/troubleshooting-guide-migrating-from-struts-20x-to-21x.html

Release notes and migration guides are also a good start:
2.1.2:
http://struts.apache.org/2.1.2/docs/version-notes-212.html
https://issues.apache.org/struts/secure/ReleaseNote.jspa?projectId=10030&styleName=Html&version=21861

2.1.3
https://issues.apache.org/struts/secure/ReleaseNote.jspa?projectId=10030&styleName=Html&version=21864

> Any 2.1 documentation available yet?

Latest:
http://struts.apache.org/2.x/index.html

Revision stamped at release time:
http://struts.apache.org/2.1.2/index.html
http://struts.apache.org/2.0.11.2/index.html

but as mentioned by Chris, the pages of the site that are wiki-generated
on-the-fly aren't version controlled and show the latest.