Posted to server-user@james.apache.org by Leandro <mi...@fastwebnet.it> on 2002/12/09 18:21:09 UTC

James installation and launch

Maybe this topic has already been discussed a lot, but I'm pretty new to
the list (and have already requested the faq, before you ask ^_^).

I'm trying to install James on a Win2k system (where I have already
installed Apache web server), to use it a s SMTP server (no need for a POP3
now). Everything worked out well, I had to install the Sun Java 2 SDK to
get it to work, and when running I always get the error that james.sar has
been packaged in a "deprecated" way.
Anyway I can use it, create new users and also send and receive mail, but
ONLY to myself... That is that i can send a mail from user@localhost to
user@localhost (using Outlook), but can't manage to send mail outside (i.e.
from user@localhost to anotheruser@provider.com) and also I can't send mail
from outside (from anotheruser@provider.com to user@[myIPaddress]). I put
two DNS in the conf file to solve the first problem but nothing changed...
the second problem is far from solution as well...

Any help?

Thanks,
Leo.

RE: James installation and launch

Posted by Danny Angus <da...@apache.org>.
> For each server name, it does calls InetAddress.getAllByName(), then calls
> getHostAddress() for each InetAddress returned, and adds them.

That'll be why mine seesm to assign IP's which aren't assigned to my machine, but are assigned in DNS then. I suspected something like that.
d.

> In the future, we can add support for picking up all local
> addresses defined
> to the NIC(s), but we need JDK 1.4+ for that ability.

That'd be cool.

d.

RE: James installation and launch

Posted by "Noel J. Bergman" <no...@devtech.com>.
> I'm not sure how James spots its IP's to auto-add them,

For each server name, it does calls InetAddress.getAllByName(), then calls
getHostAddress() for each InetAddress returned, and adds them.

In the future, we can add support for picking up all local addresses defined
to the NIC(s), but we need JDK 1.4+ for that ability.

James.initialize() has the above code, and a comment outlining that proposed
future change.

	--- Noel

RE: James installation and launch

Posted by Danny Angus <da...@apache.org>.
if it doesn't spot this automatically all you need do is add it manually, I think.
I'm not sure how James spots its IP's to auto-add them, I do know from experience that it can be a bit hit and miss.
d.

Posted by JRC <po...@neonkiwi.com>.

Posted by Danny Angus <da...@apache.org>.
Hi,

This line (assuming you haven't edited it):
10/12/02 09:44:18 DEBUG smtpserver: Command received: RCPT TO:<user>

show that James was never sent the ip address only the username, it should read exactly as sent, and in your case you want to see

RCPT TO:<user@[xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx]>

usernames without domains are OK under the stds. James deals with them by legitimately appending @localhost.
I suggest you check the sending s'ware.

If you want to confirm this telnet into james..
(you type lines beginning >>> James replies begin <<< )

>>> telnet localhost 25
<<< 220 killerbees.co.uk SMTP Server (JAMES SMTP Server 2.1a1-cvs) ready Tue, 10 Dec 2002 17:14:57 +0000 (GMT)
<<< 250 Sender <da...@localhost> OK
>>> RCPT TO:<danny@[127.0.0.1]>
<<< 250 Recipient <danny@[127.0.0.1]> OK
>>> DATA
<<< 354 Ok Send data ending with <CRLF>.<CRLF>
>>> Subject: test
>>>
>>> test
>>> .
<<< 250 Message received
>>> quit
<<< 221 killerbees.co.uk Service closing transmission channel

d.

Re: Sending to user@[ip] address

Posted by JRC <po...@neonkiwi.com>.
Noel,

You are correct about not having localhost configured as a servername.

You are incorrect about the machine the emails are being sent from. They are
coming from a machine other than the server but on the same LAN. The emails
have also been sent through my ISP email account, James had nothing to do
with the outbound emails.

--randy

Posted by JRC <po...@neonkiwi.com>.
Noel,

Thanks. I was always bugged by this little oddity. The funny thing is that
it was the overall unreliability of my ISPs mail server that sent me in
search of my own server in the first place...James is good....me like
James....

Oh, I can't recall if I've mentioned this before but I really appreciate all
of the help, suggestions, and advice that I've recieved from Danny, Peter,
and you over the past several months.

Happy Holidays,
Randy

Posted by Danny Angus <da...@apache.org>.

Doesn't help me with the b**** university postmasters though, they were adamant that they weren't going to allow @[ip] through their outgoing gateway, but frankly I think its laziness more than a reasonable excuse.

RE: Sending to user@[ip] address

Posted by "Noel J. Bergman" <no...@devtech.com>.
Randy,

Danny wrote:
> I've come across at least one SMTP<->ARPA gateway which didn't,
> citing the rfc's recommendation that literals only ever be
> used as a temporary measure as a reason for not supporting them.

AFAIK, RFC 2821 is the most recent that would effect that functionality.
Section 4.1.3 says "Sometimes a host is not known to the domain name system
and communication (and, in particular, communication to report and repair
the error) is blocked.  To bypass this barrier a special literal form of the
address is allowed as an alternative to a domain name."

In any event, the MTA is delivering the e-mail based upon the
address-literal, so they are partially honoring it.  The problem is that
they are also corrupting the address by removing the address-literal.

	--- Noel

This was the response I got from cgp-support.
Outlook Express won't even consider letting me send an email to a recipient
formed like cgp's suggestions. Their first suggestion is really stupid, if I
knew the domain name why would I want to add the IP?

*****************************

******************************

Posted by Danny Angus <da...@apache.org>.

Posted by JRC <po...@neonkiwi.com>.
Noel,
Netscape 6.2 did the same thing..
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:0.9.4) Gecko/20011019
Netscape6/6.2

with SMTP AUTH on the sender recieved Auth Required error.
with SMTP AUTH off the message fell through to the ALL matcher

10/12/02 10:29:08 DEBUG smtpserver: Command received: RCPT TO:<user>
10/12/02 10:29:08 DEBUG smtpserver: Sent: 250 Recipient <us...@localhost> OK

Posted by JRC <po...@neonkiwi.com>.
Noel,
The other user is me and i have been using a different macine on the LAN.
Also haven't been using James to send the message, I've been using my isp
account......

Posted by "Noel J. Bergman" <no...@devtech.com>.
Randy,

Posted by JRC <po...@neonkiwi.com>.
Noel,

Sending to user@[ip] address

Posted by JRC <po...@neonkiwi.com>.
Good morning,
The message bounced again. James sent this info back to the sender:
Message details:
  Subject: test
  Sent date: Tue Dec 10 09:43:42 CST 2002
  To: <user@[24.240.241.4]>
  Size (in bytes): 725

this is the smtp log with debug on:  is there a missing ( ?

10/12/02 09:44:17 DEBUG smtpserver: Retrieving a
org.apache.james.smtpserver.SMTPHandler from the pool
10/12/02 09:44:17 DEBUG smtpserver: Getting SMTPHandler from pool.
10/12/02 09:44:17 INFO  smtpserver: Connection from
dc-mx13.cluster1.charter.net (209.225.8.23)
10/12/02 09:44:17 DEBUG smtpserver: Sent: 220 domain.com SMTP Server (JAMES
SMTP Server 2.1a1-cvs) ready Tue, 10 Dec 2002 09:44:17 -0600 (CST)
10/12/02 09:44:17 DEBUG smtpserver: Calling start()
10/12/02 09:44:17 DEBUG smtpserver: Watchdog default Worker #15 has time to
sleep 360000
10/12/02 09:44:17 DEBUG smtpserver: Command received: HELO
dc-mx13.cluster1.charter.net
10/12/02 09:44:17 DEBUG smtpserver: Sent: 250 domain.com Hello
dc-mx13.cluster1.charter.net (dc-mx13.cluster1.charter.net [209.225.8.23])
10/12/02 09:44:17 DEBUG smtpserver: Calling reset() default Worker #15
10/12/02 09:44:17 DEBUG smtpserver: Command received: MAIL
FROM:<ed...@charter.net>
10/12/02 09:44:17 DEBUG smtpserver: Sent: 250 Sender <ed...@charter.net> OK
10/12/02 09:44:17 DEBUG smtpserver: Calling reset() default Worker #15
10/12/02 09:44:18 DEBUG smtpserver: Command received: RCPT TO:<user>
10/12/02 09:44:18 DEBUG smtpserver: Sent: 250 Recipient <us...@localhost> OK
10/12/02 09:44:18 DEBUG smtpserver: Calling reset() default Worker #15
10/12/02 09:44:18 DEBUG smtpserver: Command received: DATA
10/12/02 09:44:18 DEBUG smtpserver: Sent: 354 Ok Send data ending with
<CRLF>.<CRLF>
10/12/02 09:44:18 DEBUG smtpserver: Using SizeLimitedInputStream  with max
message size: 10240000
10/12/02 09:44:18 DEBUG smtpserver: Successfully spooled
mail )Mail1039535058511-1 from edited@charter.net for [user@localhost]
10/12/02 09:44:18 DEBUG smtpserver: Sent: 250 Message received
10/12/02 09:44:18 DEBUG smtpserver: Calling reset() default Worker #15
10/12/02 09:44:18 DEBUG smtpserver: Command received: QUIT
10/12/02 09:44:18 DEBUG smtpserver: Sent: 221 domain.com Service closing
transmission channel
10/12/02 09:44:18 DEBUG smtpserver: Calling stop() default Worker #15
10/12/02 09:44:18 DEBUG smtpserver: Closing socket.
10/12/02 09:44:18 DEBUG smtpserver: Calling disposeWatchdog() default Worker
10/12/02 09:44:18 DEBUG smtpserver: Returning SMTPHandler to pool.
10/12/02 09:44:18 DEBUG smtpserver: Watchdog default Worker #15 is exiting
run().
10/12/02 09:44:18 DEBUG smtpserver: Returning a
org.apache.james.smtpserver.SMTPHandler to the pool

Posted by "Noel J. Bergman" <no...@devtech.com>.

Posted by JRC <po...@neonkiwi.com>.
nope. the message was sent to user@[ipaddy] and shows up in the log as
user@localhost

09/12/02 13:36:58 INFO  smtpserver: Connection from
dc-mx01.cluster1.charter.net (209.225.8.11)
09/12/02 13:36:59 INFO  smtpserver: Successfully spooled mail from
edited@charter.net for [user@localhost]

Danny wrote:
are the [] around the ip in the log, cos they are relevant as far as James
is concerned

Posted by Danny Angus <da...@apache.org>.

Posted by JRC <po...@neonkiwi.com>.
that's interesting. the correct ip does show up in the james.log
oh well, doesn't seem like a major problem so you guys shouldn't spend any
time scratching yer heads over it.

Posted by "Noel J. Bergman" <no...@devtech.com>.

Posted by JRC <po...@neonkiwi.com>.
is this the problem? actually it isn't a problem, more of a curiosity.

<servernames autodetect="false" autodetectIP="true">
should autodetect="true"?
or.......is this caused by the lack of......
<servername>localhost</servername> ?
or......do i need....
<servername>xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx</servername> ?

i don't think james is broken, really. i'm just curious.

Posted by JRC <po...@neonkiwi.com>.
I have a modified transport processor. with smtp auth off the email sent to
[myipaddress] made it to the bottom of the processor. the email failed at
RecipientIsLocal, HostIsLocal, and at my modified mailet. the message was
finally caught at the "all" matcher.

         <mailet match="RecipientIsLocal" class="LocalDelivery"/>

         <mailet match="HostIsLocal" class="ToProcessor">
            <processor>error</processor>
         </mailet>
<mailet match="stuff that i don't want public"
       class="RemoteDelivery">
            <outgoing> file://var/mail/outgoing/ </outgoing>
            <delayTime> 21600000 </delayTime>
            <maxRetries> 5 </maxRetries>
          </mailet>

    <mailet match="All" class="ToProcessor">
      <processor> spam </processor>
   <notice> james sent this notice to sender </notice>
    </mailet>

Posted by "Noel J. Bergman" <no...@devtech.com>.

Posted by JRC <po...@neonkiwi.com>.
Noel,
the behavior did change. James accepted the mail and sent it to spam.
James then bounced a message back to the sender that is generated by a
matcher i created to prevent spoofing with VerifyIdentity turned off. James
seems to be relaying to him/her self........hmmm

Posted by "Noel J. Bergman" <no...@devtech.com>.
Randy,

Posted by JRC <po...@neonkiwi.com>.
james2.1a1-cvs
j2re1.4.0_01

I've never been able to send email to user@[24.240.241.4] . I always get a
bounce like:

 Failed to deliver to '<user@[24.240.241.4]>'
SMTP module(domain [24.240.241.4]) reports:
 host 24.240.241.4 says:
 530 Authentication Required

Even though the james.log says:
JAMES init...

Posted by "Noel J. Bergman" <no...@devtech.com>.
> i can send a mail from user@localhost to user@localhost but
> can't manage to send mail outside (i.e. from user@localhost
> to anotheruser@provider.com)

see: http://jakarta.apache.org/james/FAQ.html#3

You need to modify config.xml.  As shipped, James will only relay e-mail
that originates from localhost.