Posted to users@openoffice.apache.org by "Dennis B. Jensen" <db...@msn.com> on 2015/01/14 19:26:18 UTC

Page renumber problem

My operating system is Windows 7 & I have open office version 4.1.1

I am writing a book with many appendices that have photos.  Page numbers are in a footer.  I have no problem renumbering most of these so the result is consecutive page numbers from appendix 1 through appendix 60.  The problem occurs with renumbering pages for some of these appendix files of two or more pages having photos.  Each appendix file has a heading which becomes the first paragraph.  I put the cursor in the heading; click format/paragraph/text flow and change the page number.  When I click OK on the files I have a problem with, the page number changes; BUT the heading moves to the end of the file.  In some cases the first page content is deleted also.  So the result is the heading either at the end of the file, or at the beginning of a blank last page.

I did get page renumbering to work successfully one one file that previously gave problems as described above.  I changed the spacing between the heading and the first photo on the page.  Then the page renumbering worked successfully.  But this same solution did not work for other files with the same problem.

This problem also occurs for files on which I previously was successful in changing the pages.  In these cases, I just needed to increase page numbers by one due to my editing which resulted in one more page.  But this next page renumbering caused the same problem described above.

I would appreciate your advice on how to solve this problem.

DBJensen

P.S. I previously asked this question on December 10, 2014, but did not receive a reply.

Re: Page renumber problem

Posted by johnny smith <ka...@krovatka.su>.
On Thu, 15 Jan 2015 16:58:59 -0000, Dennis B. Jensen <db...@msn.com> wrote:

> Johnny:
> Thanks for your reply.  The photos are anchored to the page.  I have found
> that I must anchor them to the page to keep them from migrating to the wrong
> page, as they have a tendency to do.  But thanks for your insight.
>
> Do you have a suggestion about how to prevent photos from migrating to the
> wrong page, unless they are anchored to the page?  If there is a different
> method of keeping the photos on the page where I put them, then I wouldn't
> need to anchor them to the page.

unfortunately, i can't reproduce the bug. could you attach a small sample file in the odt format or upload it to a file-sharing sevice?

Re: Page renumber problem

> I put the cursor in the heading; click format/paragraph/text flow and
> change the page number.  When I click OK on the files I have a problem
> with, the page number changes; BUT the heading moves to the end of the
> file.  In some cases the first page content is deleted also.  So the
> result is the heading either at the end of the file, or at the beginning
> of a blank last page.

what is the picture ancored to? if it is anchored to page rather than to
paragraph or character, then page number switching could cause something
similar to your problem.

Re: Page renumber problem

Posted by johnny smith <ka...@krovatka.su>.