Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Geralyn M Hollerman <gm...@louisiana.edu> on 2003/08/18 16:42:29 UTC

maxThreads

I am getting this message in my catalina.out file: "SEVERE: All threads
are busy, waiting. Please increase maxThreads or check the servlet
status500 500"; I have no idea why all threads would be busy and
waiting.

In the standard distribution of Tomcat 4.1.24, the value of maxThreads
is 75; this number (in the <Connector> element would cause Tomcat to
"shut down" after a couple of hours on my moderately busy server. It was
suggested to me that I raise this value, but all it appears to have done
is delay the inevitable stopping of Tomcat once all the threads were
busy and waiting; but I thought that Tomcat recycled threads, no? What
are the threads waiting for to tell them to stop waiting? How can I get
them to "move on"?

Thanks!
--
Lynn Hollerman.

Re: maxThreads

Posted by Ben Ricker <br...@wellinx.com>.
Running against a database? Are you pooling the connections? We hit
maxthreads when either the DB is messed up (i.e., someone locks a table)
or before, when the programmers forgot to run socket_close() on the DB
connection, thereby returning it to the pool.

HTH,

Ben Ricker

Re: maxThreads

Posted by Ben Ricker <br...@wellinx.com>.