Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Eric fiedler <ef...@actelesys.com> on 2003/05/28 20:10:10 UTC

building mod_proxy Apache 1.3

Has anyone who has integrated Apache and Tomcat built mod_proxy by any
chance?

My documentation on the Jakarta tomcat proxy hot-two document says to run
the following command. I am on a Solaris machine:

	./configure --enable-module=proxy

This creates a file called mod_proxy.o; not mod_proxy.so as the
documentation says it should. The next step the documentation says is too
add the line "LoadModule proxy_module libexec/mod_proxy.so" and as stated, I
have mod_proxy.o

Anyone know what I am doing wrong or something else that should be done?

Thanks.

Re: building mod_proxy Apache 1.3

Posted by John Turner <to...@johnturner.com>.
Well, that configure command shouldn't do anything at all to mod_proxy.
That looks like a configure command to build Apache.

In general, when using GNU autoconf (of which configure is a part), the
steps are:

./configure --some-option-here=the-value-of-the-option
make
make install

John

Posted by Bill Barker <wb...@wilshire.com>.
What you are seeing is fine for most people.  It is simply that mod_proxy is
being statically compiled into the httpd executable.  In this case, you
simply skip the "LoadModule" statement, since it is automatically loaded.
If you really want mod_proxy.so, then you must also include
the --enable-shared=proxy in your 'configure' line.

For Apache 1.3.x, the usual reason to do shared modules is to be able to
change their invocation order easily.  In this case you would usually
use --enable-shared=most.