Posted to users@kafka.apache.org by Joe San <co...@gmail.com> on 2016/01/14 14:46:50 UTC

Kafka Consumer and Topic Partition

Kafka Users,

I have been trying out a simple consumer example that is supposed to read
messages from a specific partition of a topic. I'm not able to get two
consumer instances up and running. The second consumer instance is idle!

Here is the original post that I created:

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/34789999/apache-kafka-0-9-0-0-show-all-topics-with-partitions

Thanks and Regards,
Joe

Re: Kafka Consumer and Topic Partition

Posted by Stephen Powis <sp...@salesforce.com>.
I think you need to have unique consumer group ids for each consumer (if
you want both consumers to receive ALL msgs) or multiple partitions setup
on your topic with your consumers sharing the same consumer group (each
consumer would then get ~half of all the messages)