Posted to users@subversion.apache.org by Paul Hammant <pa...@hammant.org> on 2018/09/02 19:04:22 UTC

Error connecting to svn.apache.org

For svn 1.10.2, when I do:

    $ svn log http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/synapse/trunk

it results in:

    svn: E170013: Unable to connect to a repository at URL '
http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/synapse/trunk'
    svn: E120108: Error running context: The server unexpectedly closed the
connection.

I've tried over hotspot (T-Mobile USA), and wifi with the same reults (I
was wondering if it was an IPv4 / IPv6 issues).

However if I do:

    $ svn log https://github.com/apache/synapse.git

... it works as expected. Github's Svn mirrors don't require the /trunk
suffix for 'master' that's mapped to that.

Does anyone have any ideas?

- Paul

Re: Error connecting to svn.apache.org

Posted by Paul Hammant <pa...@hammant.org>.
> This does not so much force IPv4 as it breaks name-based virtual hosts
> on the server ... which is obvious from the bogus redirect.

Yup, I guessed as much too. I just pasted it in because I'd seen it
offered as advice online somewhere.

Re: Error connecting to svn.apache.org

Posted by Branko Čibej <br...@apache.org>.
On 02.09.2018 21:22, Paul Hammant wrote:
> I'd already tried something similar, but will paste in the result:
>
>   $ svn log http://209.188.14.144/repos/asf/synapse/trunk/
>   Redirecting to URL 'https://dist.apache.org/repos/asf/synapse/trunk':
>   svn: E170013: Unable to connect to a repository at URL
> 'https://dist.apache.org/repos/asf/synapse/trunk'
>   svn: E175009: The XML response contains invalid XML
>   svn: E130003: Malformed XML: no element found at line 1
>
> ^ That as an attempt to force IPv4

This does not so much force IPv4 as it breaks name-based virtual hosts
on the server ... which is obvious from the bogus redirect.

-- Brane

Re: Error connecting to svn.apache.org

Posted by Daniel Shahaf <d....@daniel.shahaf.name>.
Paul Hammant wrote on Sun, 02 Sep 2018 19:30 +0000:
> I'm not sure if there's a online definitive error guide for Svn, but
> if there is the page for E170013 could be enhanced to suggest "check
> your darn proxy settings in ~/.subversion/servers, fool" (or less
> Paul-centric language).

We should start such a thing on
https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/subversion/site/publish/ ; the
recent OpenSSL example added to the FAQ and 1.10 release notes can go
there too.

<hint/>

Cheers,

Daniel

Re: Error connecting to svn.apache.org

Posted by Paul Hammant <pa...@hammant.org>.
Dammit, false alarm - there was a proxy definition in there just for
svn.apache.org :-( :-(

Re: Error connecting to svn.apache.org

Posted by Paul Hammant <pa...@hammant.org>.
Hmmm, OK this shifts the problem:

    mv ~/.subversion ~/.subversionOLD

I mean doing the log operation after that now works as expected.

Posted by Branko Čibej <br...@apache.org>.
On 02.09.2018 21:04, Paul Hammant wrote:
> For svn 1.10.2, when I do:
>
>     $ svn log http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/synapse/trunk
>
> it results in:
>
>     svn: E170013: Unable to connect to a repository at URL
> 'http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/synapse/trunk'
>     svn: E120108: Error running context: The server unexpectedly
> closed the connection.
>
> I've tried over hotspot (T-Mobile USA), and wifi with the same reults
> (I was wondering if it was an IPv4 / IPv6 issues).
>
> However if I do:
>
>     $ svn log https://github.com/apache/synapse.git
>
> ... it works as expected. Github's Svn mirrors don't require the
> /trunk suffix for 'master' that's mapped to that.
>
> Does anyone have any ideas?

Nope ... All I can say is that it works for me.

FWIW:
$ host svn.apache.org
svn.apache.org has address 209.188.14.144

Could be different for you.

-- Brane