Posted to dev@myfaces.apache.org by Matthias Wessendorf <ma...@apache.org> on 2010/11/05 09:49:24 UTC

[maven] myfaces pom

Hi,

the ASF master-pom does contain a _regular_ snapshot repo (linked to
the (new) nexus repo), see:
https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/maven/pom/trunk/asf/pom.xml

*snip*
    <repository>
      <id>apache.snapshots</id>
      <name>Apache Snapshot Repository</name>
      <url>http://repository.apache.org/snapshots</url>
      <releases>
        <enabled>false</enabled>
      </releases>
    </repository>
*snip*

However, it doesn't define the "apache.snapshot" for plugins. Nor does
the myfaces pom.
Does one know why?

In Trinidad we currently have this setting:
  <pluginRepositories>
    <pluginRepository>
      <id>apache.snapshots</id>
      <name>Apache Snapshot Repository</name>
      <url>http://repository.apache.org/snapshots</url>
      <releases>
        <enabled>false</enabled>
      </releases>
    </pluginRepository>
  </pluginRepositories>

IMO it could be centralized: In myfaces-pom or in the ASF pom.

Thoughts?

-Matthias

--
Matthias Wessendorf

twitter: http://twitter.com/mwessendorf

Re: [maven] myfaces pom

Posted by Leonardo Uribe <lu...@gmail.com>.
What I understand is add that entry to myfaces master pom allow to use
snapshot versions temporally for maven plugins, but does not force to use
it. Some days ago I did a svn checkout of a myfaces project and I notice
that
myfaces-builder-plugin was not downloaded from internet, but that one
was added on hudson, so I had to recompile the plugin locally.

Re: [maven] myfaces pom

Posted by Matthias Wessendorf <ma...@apache.org>.

Re: [maven] myfaces pom

Posted by Leonardo Uribe <lu...@gmail.com>.
Hi

Re: [maven] myfaces pom

Posted by Matthias Wessendorf <ma...@apache.org>.

Re: [maven] myfaces pom

Posted by Matthias Wessendorf <ma...@apache.org>.
On Fri, Nov 5, 2010 at 7:03 PM, David Jencks <da...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> I think a plugin snapshot repo is not in the asf master pom because using snapshot plugins is not something the maven devs want to encourage.

Agreed - said that later on, too

>  Why does myfaces need a snapshot plugin?

core (the jsf impl) does not need it. A subproject's trunk (trinidad)
is having dependency against some (specialized) maven plugins
(trinidad-maven).
These plugins are deployed to the nexus repo, hence we have that in
our (trinidad) pom.xml

First it sound a good idea.
No, it's not - There is no need for having that setting in myfaces/asf pom.

> I'd recommend putting the plugin repo entry near the use of the plugin so it can be removed easily when the plugin is released.  I'd include a comment on why its
> needed too.

yep

Re: [maven] myfaces pom

Posted by Leonardo Uribe <lu...@gmail.com>.
Hi

Well, in myfaces there are projects that use plugins hosted in myfaces. For
example, myfaces-builder-plugin is required to build myfaces-core. In some
moments, it appear bugs on core that require some changes on
myfaces-builder-plugin, so in those moments we need a plugin snapshot, just
while we release the plugin.

If maven release plugin check for snapshot plugins usage before release (and
do not allow if that's the case), why bother us to change the pom every time
a bug like this happens?

regards,

Leonardo Uribe

Re: [maven] myfaces pom

Posted by David Jencks <da...@yahoo.com>.
I think a plugin snapshot repo is not in the asf master pom because using snapshot plugins is not something the maven devs want to encourage.  Why does myfaces need a snapshot plugin?  I'd recommend putting the plugin repo entry near the use of the plugin so it can be removed easily when the plugin is released.  I'd include a comment on why its needed too.