Posted to apache-bugdb@apache.org by "Tyler J. Allison" <al...@nas.nasa.gov> on 1997/07/27 06:40:02 UTC

Re: mod_cgi/918: if not using suexec, apache forces user to use server gid/uid settings

The following reply was made to PR mod_cgi/918; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: "Tyler J. Allison" <al...@nas.nasa.gov>
To: Dean Gaudet <dg...@arctic.org>
Subject: Re: mod_cgi/918: if not using suexec, apache forces user to use
 server gid/uid settings
Date: Sat, 26 Jul 1997 21:33:16 -0700

 > The last line of can_exec is:
 >
 > return (finfo->st_mode & S_IXOTH);
 >
 > Do you not have the o+x bit set?

   Why would I want other people on my system able to execute other peoples
 cgi-bin files, just so the web server can do it? In my opinion this
 "requirement" that cgi-bin's either be called using apache's suexec program or
 be set world executable is unacceptable, and should be placed as a compile
 time option.

   When placed as a compile time option maybe it can be described as apache
 enforcing file mode checking or something.

   However, we have our own cgi-bin wrapper that does more extensive checks,
 logging, and then the change of user id before execution than the one shipped
 with apache.  We would prefer to just use a compile time option instead of
 having to patch every release before compiling.

 -Tyler

 | Tyler Allison      | Sterling Software         | Voice: (415) 604-6629 |
 | Network Engineer I | M/S 258-6                 |   Fax: (415) 604-4377 |
 | LAN/Security Group | NASA Ames Research Center +-----------------------+
 | NAS Facility       | Moffett Field, CA  94035  | allison@nas.nasa.gov  |