Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by Mario Stipcevic <st...@irb.hr> on 2004/07/22 16:21:16 UTC

[users@httpd] How to spawn a job from a CGI

Dear,

I have stuck with a problem that only occurs in Win2000NT (and perhaps
Xp). I am using apache 1.3.6 . I am trying to execute from within a
cgi-bin a job that will continue to execute in background. I know of a
strange trick: system("myjob < /dev/null > out_file 2>&1 &");
it does the job under Linux, Win98 and WinMe, BUT it does not under
Win2000. I have a feeling (not sure) that this thing worked long time ago.
But I am constantly updating Win2000 using the Windows Update feature.
Perhaps this procedure finally created a problem (?)

Could someone please help ? Is there a way to start a program in bckgnd
from within a cgi under Win2000 ?

 Thanks !

dr. Mario Stipcevic
Experimental physics division