Posted to taglibs-dev@jakarta.apache.org by Mi...@epiphany.com on 2001/01/09 18:30:17 UTC

RE: [VOTE] Ant Taglib Update, Committer, Taglib Documenting, Jaka rta Taglib App

I have one problem with your "Ant" taglib:  the name.

I'm concerned that the "Ant" taglib will not remain completely compatible
with the actual Jakarta Ant project (especially since it doesn't actually
use Ant for its implementation).  Will all the tasks in Jakarta Ant be
provided in the taglib?  All the attributes for each of those tasks (with no
extra attributes)?  What about the notion of targets and dependencies?  With
Ant 2.0, there may be some notion of cross project dependencies.  Will this
jave a JSP tag that amounts to a jsp include or something like that?  Is
this taglib just creating a JSP version of the build.xml file?  Is that
necessary?

If it's not 100% compatible, I can't justify it using the Ant name, and can
only imagine the confusion it may cause.  Don't get me wrong, I think that
file manipulation stuff (gzip, mkdir, etc.) is probably a good idea for a
tag library.  I can also see a *long term* Ant tag library, but not until
Ant 2.0 is solidified.  Ant then the tag library would just be manipulations
of running an *actual* ant (with a seprate build.xml file or build.ant or
whatever it ends up being) and retrieving/displaying the results.

I'm not a committer on the Jakarta Taglibs project (or Jakarta Ant for that
matter), so I don't have a binding vote, but here's my take anyway:

+0 for adding the proposed "ant" taglib
-1 for using the "ant" name for the taglib

regards,
michael

---
Michael.Smith@epiphany.com