Posted to dev@forrest.apache.org by Tony Collen <tc...@neuagency.com> on 2003/01/31 21:05:08 UTC

[Status] Skins?

Hi list-

after a small hiatus from messing with cocoon stuff, i'm getting angry at
templating my pages in dreamweaver, so i'm re-evaluating forrest for a
project at my new job.

i remember playing around with some skins a few months ago, but it seemed
a little difficult to write a new "skin".. i was basically wondering on
the status of skinning in forrest.  I have a very lightweight design that
I want to bring into forrest and use.  most of it is CSS based, anyway.

Regards,
Tony

--
Cocoon: Internet Glue (A Cocoon Weblog)
http://manero.org/weblog/

Re: [Status] Skins?

Posted by Jeff Turner <je...@apache.org>.
On Fri, Jan 31, 2003 at 03:05:08PM -0500, Tony Collen wrote:
> Hi list-
>
> after a small hiatus from messing with cocoon stuff, i'm getting angry at
> templating my pages in dreamweaver, so i'm re-evaluating forrest for a
> project at my new job.
>
> i remember playing around with some skins a few months ago, but it seemed
> a little difficult to write a new "skin".. i was basically wondering on
> the status of skinning in forrest.  I have a very lightweight design that
> I want to bring into forrest and use.  most of it is CSS based, anyway.

If you're working off CVS, I've added a bare minimum 'template' skin
to copy.  Forrest skins in 0.3 make heavy use of <xsl:import> to pull
in and override a common base:

  <xsl:import href="../../../common/xslt/html/document2html.xsl"/>

</xsl:stylesheet>

You can then override specific templates as needed.

The main XSLT files are:

- document2html.xsl:  This defines the HTML for the body text.  Unless
  you want to restyle things like <note>'s, it's usually not worth
  overriding anything.

- site2xhtml.xsl:  Main, outermost stylesheet responsible for layout
  and overall look&feel.  This is the one you usually want to play
  with.

I think the cleanest real skin to copy is avalon-tigris.  You might be
able to get away with just tweaking the CSS.  If you're using 0.3, be
aware of this bug with avalon-tigris:

http://issues.cocoondev.org/jira/secure/ViewIssue.jspa?key=FOR-29

--Jeff