Posted to general@jakarta.apache.org by Jon Froehlich <jf...@uci.edu> on 2002/10/28 03:13:19 UTC

running history command on apache CVS modules...

Is it possible to run the cvs history command on modules in the Jakarta
Project cvs repository with anoncvs access?  If so, what is the command
string?

I have been trying things like this:
cvs -d :pserver:anoncvs@cvs.apache.org:/home/cvspublic history -a -m
jakarta-lucene

I am trying to receive a comprehensive listing of files for any given
Jakarta module (e.g. jakarta-lucene) without having to run a checkout
command.

For example:
I can run the cvs history commands on sourceforge.net modules without a
problem using the following example syntax:
cvs -d:pserver:anonymous@cvs.gaim.sourceforge.net:/cvsroot/gaim history
-l -a -c
The server then sends a listing of all of the files related to the
"gaim" module.  I am hoping to find a similar method for the
cvs.apache.org server.

Thank you,
Jon Froehlich

---------------------------------
Jon Froehlich
UCal-Irvine Graduate Student
jfroehli@uci.edu

RE: running history command on apache CVS modules...

Posted by Tom Copeland <to...@infoether.com>.
Oh, cool, OK, you know the module name.  Cool.  Well, let's see....

=============
[build@ul020-dmz tmp]$
CVSROOT=:pserver:anoncvs@cvs.apache.org:/home/cvspublic
[build@ul020-dmz tmp]$ cvs -Q co CVSROOT
[build@ul020-dmz tmp]$ find CVSROOT/ -name history
=============

Hm.  There doesn't seem to be a history file in the Jakarta CVSROOT.
Well, there's always rlog:

=============
[build@ul020-dmz tmp]$ cvs -q rlog -R jakarta-lucene | grep -v Attic |
more
/x1/home/cvs/jakarta-lucene/.cvsignore,v
/x1/home/cvs/jakarta-lucene/Attic/API.html,v
/x1/home/cvs/jakarta-lucene/BUILD.txt,v
=============

Just trim off the "/x1/home/cvs" and the ",v".  That list contains 236
files, which seems to be the actual number of files in the module:

=============
[build@ul020-dmz tmp]$ cvs -Q export -D"tomorrow" jakarta-lucene
[build@ul020-dmz tmp]$ find jakarta-lucene/ -type f | wc -l
    236