Posted to user@mahout.apache.org by skasab2s <sk...@smail.inf.fh-brs.de> on 2011/05/30 01:38:32 UTC

Logistic Regression: Coeffcients Calculation

Hello,

I am currently testing Apache Mahout for usage of its Logistic Regression
implementation in a medical application. I have the following question:

Which formula does Mahout use in order to calculate the Logistic Regression
Coefficients when learning from data ? Can you give me some more literature
references about how the learning process happens ?

Thanks a lot and best regards,

Svetlomir Kasabov.

Re: Logistic Regression: Coeffcients Calculation

Posted by Ted Dunning <te...@gmail.com>.
It is close to this method:

http://alias-i.com/lingpipe/demos/tutorial/logistic-regression/read-me.html

The difference is that learning rates for individual coefficients are
adapted online.

Can you say a bit more about how much data you are looking at?  What kind of
data?  The Mahout logistic regression is optimized for very large numbers of
sparse inputs.  It works on other data, but doesn't have a huge advantage
there.